Splitting Unilock PISA II Double Units?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BSDeality, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious as to the best way to split Unilock - Pisa II double unit wall blocks. For those of you that are unfamiliar, they're a retaining wall piece that you must physically break in half in the center to produce a unique face for each piece.

I had 150 of these DU's to do, and i did some experimenting with a sledge and chisel, each took 12-40 blows to split in half. with that each block would take 1-2 minutes+ fatigue, hardly fun work at all. I found a very efficient way to do it (IMO) but i'm curious as to how others do it.

I'll chime in with my answer after a reply or two.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hey BSDeality,

The best way I could find was to use a hammer and chisel to split the units along the prescored line.

3. BSDeality

no one else going to chime in?

well my method involved a 20 Ton log splitter. it snaps those babies right in half pretty damn good. you've gotta watch your feet cause they "pop" and split about 2' on every break. We only had 6 bad breaks where it took too much out of one side and left the other with an extra chunk, which we chipped off with a hammer and chisel. those 6 were out of 150, so i consider that an allowable failure rate for the amount of labor and time i saved.

splitter.jpg

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I think I'll stick to the ol' hammer and chisel. :cool:

5. BSDeality

how many strikes does it take you to get through the big units? even if its as little as 3 strikes i've still split 2 blocks in the time you've taken to replace the chisel after each blow.

Plus i don't get any more bruised fingers :D

6. BSDeality

btw, i used the splitter in the vertical position, not horizontal like its pictured (transport mode)

7. paponte

LMAO!! That's funny you say that. Was just out with a friend today that had a nasty looking black thumb from doing a retaining wall. Kinda bad when your "green thumb" turns black huh? :D

Pisa II usually break with 2-3 strikes. As far as having 150 to break... that's wht laborers are for. :cool:

8. BSDeality

i'm going to try to get a video of this process friday, i've got 75 more DU's to split in half

as per laborers, when you're a one man show you're the foreman, laborer, engineer and manager.

9. paponte

I hear that. It was a pretty cleaver idea on your part. As always... whatever makes the job easier. :cool:

Let's see some pics of the wall when your done.

10. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what you are doing wrong but I just use a 3 lb. hand sledge and a bolster. 2 or 3 whacks and it is split. It is best to turn them upside down but it is not mandatory. I have never had any problems split any Unilock product. Even Sienna stone splits in 5 or 6 hits. Using a log splitter seems like a lot of work. I just split them as I use them off the skid. No big deal.