spongey ground

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The landscaper, Apr 2, 2006.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a customers house today and the majority of his front yard was real spongey like. He thought maybe it needed to be aerated.

Any ideas what he has going on?

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

It could be supersaturated still , everything is very wet here still in mich. check for moles, thatch could be real thick, lawn could be long still and thick.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a thatch problem. do you have a soil probe ? if soprobe the lawn in different areas to check for a thatch layer and to see what the underlying soil looks like.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a high clay content soil?

Does he have a automatic sprinkler system?

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

It probably won't perk right, probably too much clay.
    I have a couple like that. Can't run the Z on them for a couple of days after it rains because it's heavy enough to leave tracks. Heck, I've left footprints a day after a minor rain shower. Use a soil probe to be sure.

6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

He does have sprinkler system.
    Not to sure if it is clay around there. The yard around him seem to be just fine.

7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

if its not underground from irrigation lines or septic tank / water lines, then are the customers gutters washing rainwater all over the lawn instead of channelling underground (away from the house) tied into sewer lines or a separate french drain system?

unless you service the irrigation, be sure to have customer call you only AFTER the irrigation heads have been flagged by the irrigation company.
    you dont want to puncture the lines and/or damage the heads unnecessarily.

regards