Sponsering a city league kids team

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mrs. H, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We decided to sponsor 7-9 year old competitive city league basketball team this season.

For $150, 12 (?) kids get shirts with our company name, 2 coaches shirts, almost 2 months of games, we'll be listed with the other sponsors, and the names will be in the paper with the stats from the games.

We had talked about sponsoring the next baseball season or soccer. We totally skipped thinking about basketball. Apparently it's twice as much for baseball, so we're getting a good deal...according to the community center. Pee-wee Football sponsor was $300 as well, we skipped over that. Our daughter is playing in this league...and I think she's embarrassed that she may be on a team that is named after her! (Or if she's not on our sponsored team...how weird would that be? :laugh:)

Has anyone ever done this? How did it go as far as exposure? We are in a smaller city, so we are hoping to ingrain name recognition. If you have done this...did your team have a good record? :)

2. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

haven't done it before, but it sounds like a no-brainer. I think it's the best bang for your buck your're going to get. You should get a 3rd coaches shirt and wear it to the games!

3. Mrs. H

We had the first practice this evening. Looking good.

4. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

I have done that before, it was fun to see the kids faces when they get new stuff. plus its a good write off.

5. Mrs. H

I'm thinking about being the "team mom" if they don't already have one.

Then again, I don't want to seem to "over the top". People might start to think I really think alot of myself! ;)

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree a great write off. something pretty crazy to think about though. i was at a mechanics shop getting some front end work done on two of the trucks. this guys big into stock cars. we started bsing about business and what not. told me about a big jam he got into, his insurance dropped him etc. he sponsors a few stock cars, one of them got into an accident. the tire came off hit a few spectators and injured them pretty badly. being a sue happy country the spectators sued all the sponsors of the cars, and of course they won. his insurance dropped him and the new carrier told him were not going to write you unless you dont sponsor anything anymore. pretty crazy right, something i'd never in a million years think about happening...

7. Mrs. H

Guess I had better check with our insurance company!

8. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We have sponsored several teams over the last 2-3 years, I think that it has been well worth what we have spent. We also have footed the entire bill for the high school track team trophies a few times because most of my family ran track and coach is a good friend who just doesn't have any funding. We also sponsor the football team and have a 4x8 sign that stays up year round on the fence right out front of the stadium. we have gotten several phone calls from people who where at a game and saw the sign.

9. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

ME TOO!!! :dizzy:

10. Mrs. H

This past football season a friend of mine was selling those for the pee-wee team. She didn't want to ask me because she thought it was out of our reach financially. Of course, I'm only paying half of that cost on the basketball sponsership. I told her we might next season if they do it again.