Sponsored Discussion 1/27/06 - How Should Blower Performance Be Measured?

Discussion in 'The Force' started by Sean Adams, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Late Friday Afternoon on 1/27/06 one of our sponsors - The Force - will be holding a discussion on the site - a Q&A session / open discussion... We have done this successfully at PlowSite for several years. Below is the question/topic that will be discussed in the thread next week. The discussion will go one for one week and questions will be answered by Mr. Force, a site sponsor. This thread will remain closed until the discussion takes place on 1/27/06.

Are air volume (CFM) and airspeed (MPH) the best measurements to evaluate blower performance? Some manufacturers publish numbers; others do not because there are no industry standards for testing. These same manufacturers claim there is no point of publishing performance numbers when there is nothing to keep others from falsely leapfrogging them. A 52" ceiling fan generates more CFM (5000+) than the best backpack or wheeled blower available and a commercial air pump generates more MPH than even the best backpack can produce. Yet, one without the other will never move large amounts of debris. What is the best way to measure the power of the airstream produced by a blower? Do you have any ideas?

From January 27th to Feb 3rd I'll host an open forum to try to come up with an unbiased and easily replicated test that quickly and effectively measures the force that any blower can produce.

From Mr. Force - www.experiencetheforce.com

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Good Evening everyone!

Its time to talk air volume (CFM) and airspeed (MPH). Should we really believe the numbers manufacturers toss out there? Or, is it all liar's poker?

What do you guys believe is the best way to measure blower performance?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO, the best and most unbiased way to measure the performance should be measuring X cfm at Y mph at the nozzle at WOT. This is how the backback manufacturers sport their numbers and it gives us a good idea what to expect from them. Hope this helps.

4. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Pardon my ignorance and I'm embarrassed to ask but what's WOT?

What do you think is a fair way to come up with CFM and MPH numbers?

Should there be a formula that combines CFM and MPH mathematically? If so how would you do that?

Mr. Force

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wide Open Throttle

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

lets make it simple. 3 little pigs test. can it blow straw? can it blow sticks? can it blow bricks?

if you can make a BP that blows bricks, i'll buy it. my stihl is at the sticks rating. :p

7. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

What do you want to see to prove superior performance at wide open throttle? Is it entirely subjective in that everyone has their own hot buttons? What in your mind would prove it beyond a doubt?

Mr. Force

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I am not sure how bp blower manufacturers test their machines i.e what machine they use. However, if you measure the cubic feet per minute of this machine and see how many mph the air is moving all at wide open throttle, you give us a baseline to look at.

9. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

I absolutely love the 3 little pigs test analogy! That might be a slogan in the making.

Does it come down to seeing is believing? I'm a huge fan of demonstrations but I sure can't do them all. Few dealers have gassed and oiled competitive units of equal horse power to show how one performs versus another.

Imagine all you had were brochures what tests would you want to see?

Mr. Force

10. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

We along with all (I assume) other blower manufacturers have a device with probe that mathematically measures the CFM and MPH. The question is where do you put the probe? The bottom of a discharge normally has the highest numbers with unique variations throughout the discharge depending on the housing and fan. Do you take an average or look for the highest?

Do you push the probe a little into the discharge? Weather conditions and RPM are entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer who is trying to sell product. For performance numbers a hot day is best because the air is less dense and the twist of a screw and you've gained an additional 200 RPM.

If you were a manufacturer would you honestly publish numbers that showed you had a weaker product (costing you sales) or would you fudge? As I'm trying to show the published numbers can be cheated very easily with little fear of being held accountable.

What we are looking for is a test that levels out the weather conditions and neutralizes the bias. When you decide to purchase a blower what is it that makes you think one is superior to another?

Mr. Force

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.