Sport 48" w/Honda Question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by etabbert, Oct 28, 2010.

1. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of purchasing my first Zero Turn mower and I have a question regarding the Sport 48" Honda. I'm cutting about an acre of lawn that has a slight slope near my walkout weekly. I went to my local Hustler dealer to purchase the Sport, based on all the info on this site, but he said that I needed to bump up to the Fastrak Series, at a cost of $1600 dollars. My question is whether the sport EZT pumps are sufficient enough to do the job? The Exmark dealer is trying to talk me into the 42" Quest for $200 dollars more, but I like the low profile of the sport. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How steep in the slope?
    Can you post a picture?

3. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

This is back of my property that I would be cutting. I'm concerned that I might need to go one step up from the Sport Honda. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

4. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

I just posted the pictures of my back yard, hope this helps!

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not seeing anything in these pictures that the Sport cant handle.

6. soonermike

soonermike LawnSite Member

I agree with Mowerconsultant. I have that exact model and have some slopes on my yard. The only issue I have is when I mow low and get to my thick bermuda it tends to bog down and I have to go slooooow. BTW I have mulching blades so I think that is the reason it is bogging down. When I mow higher the grass is better able to be deposited.

7. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

I talked to my Hustler dealer again and told him that you didn't see anything that the Hustler Sport couldn't handle. He apologized for making me think that, but it wasn't the property that I was cutting that concerned him, it was that I tow a cyclone rake 3-4 times a year during the fall season to clean up the leafs. Should I be concerned about this or will the Hustler Sport with the Honda handle it? I pull the cyclone rake with my 16 year old 14HP simplicity with no problem, I just don't want to take a chance with the sport if you think there could be a problem. I can post a picture of the cyclone rake if it would help. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

8. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

Here is what I would be pulling 3-4 times during the heavy fall season. The Hustler dealer was concerned about this unit being towed with the Hustler Sport with the Honda engine. Do you think that this might be a problem?

P1060039.JPG

P1060040.JPG

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not sure if you would have a issue with that collection unit or not, I dont know the weight or the tongue weight of it.
    Here is our "official" limits for towing and tongue weight for the Sport.

Tongue weight >50 lbs.
    Operator + Tow not to exceed 300 lbs.

10. etabbert

etabbert LawnSite Member

Do you have the Honda engine? I am torn between the Fastrack 48 Kaw and the Sport 48 Honda. How long have you had your Sport?