Sport Throttle Cable Binding

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnstriper23, Jun 8, 2010.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas how to fix a throttle cable that is sticking? This issue just started to happen last night when I was cooling Sporto down after mowing. I just got done mowing and I usually throttle down the engine to "cool down" a bit before turnin it off. Well, the throttle lever keeps binding up about half way and I am unable to throttle all the way down.
    Hopefully this makes sense. I will snap some pix if necessary. I am trying to fix it myself as it is a pain in the arse to load up Sporto on the trailer to drag it up to the dealer.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please email me a pic of where you think it is binding .

3. lawnstriper23

Not too sure where it is binding. I know the throttle lever doesn't want to stay in the lowest idle position. I will snap some pix next time Sporto is out..

4. lawnstriper23

Fixed it :)
    Must have backed into something because the throttle plate was bend a bit and was rubbing againest the choke plate. All fixed and now it's time for a :drinkup:

5. Sport42

Sport42 LawnSite Member

I always thought lowering throttle on an air cooled engine ran them hotter, and they ran the coolest on full throttle?

I have also heard mixed advice on at what rpm or throttle to shut off the mower...

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Oh... gotta be careful, next time you will know.

Pj