1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"SportEar" hearing protection...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Dec 2, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Has anyone used or even heard of "SportEar" ear plugs?

I saw a commercial for them the other day. They are just like the small foam plugs that you stick in your ears, but they have a "valve" that lets in normal sounds and keeps out loud noise.

I know they make large ear muffs like that (I've seen them for shooters), but they are pretty expensive.

These SportEars are only $20.

This is the # that was on the commercial: 1-87-SPORT877

Thought some here may be interested. I may try them out.
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy the foam type with a '33'db rating, I get a jug full of them for about $20, one use or use for a day if you really want.

They do a major muffling of all sounds with the '33' rating, BTW- I used to use plugs with a '28' rating. Didn't think there could be much difference, I was certainly wrong about that.

I am still able to hear a cell phone ring and can even hear the caller.

The plugs you asked about are probably great, but they seem very expensive and rather gimmicky with the valve.

Just go for some plugs that feel comfortable and have a high db rating.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Spend as much $$$$$$ as you can for hearing protection and if you don't have much money then beg borrow or steal to get it, I wish I had taken my own advise 20 yrs ago maybe I could hear a phone ring or the kids yelling without having to use hearing aids.

PROTECT YOUR HEARING it can't be replaced.