1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sports Field Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Mar 15, 2001.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Here is my dilema:
    Local high school baseball coach called me yesterday to look at his baseball field.The field is 2 years old and has some bare spots.I gave him a price to aerate,overseed and put down a starter fertilizer.I figured to put down 5lb seed per 1000 sq.ft. Knowing that the baseball season is starting and they are practicing,there will be traffic on the field.What can I expect from the seed?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If they keep the kids off of it when it is wet, it might turn out fine, since that is when the most damage would happen. I sure wouldn't give them a guarantee in writing, it all depends on them how it will turn out.
  3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Anybody else have experience with sports fields?
  4. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I have had about ten years experience(Left a year ago to landscape) with baseball and soccer fields working for a municipality. The fields are beat heavily here and get no chance at all to grow. Good luck getting seed to grow if they use them heavily. I could get nothing to grow from scratch on my fields. They had no rest and sod was the only thing I could uses and sometimes even that did not stand a chance. My fields were used five nights a week for practice and then games all weekend.In short they were really Beat up on a regular basis.The grass was kept aerated and verticut and was in good shape except for the heavy wear areas. The infield areas were really worn, but what can you expcet when the grass is used that heavil? Also it was my experience that the people involved with running the fields(I.E. recreation director,coaches.) expected miricles on a regular basis and no matter how many times they were told about something they would disregard what you told them and then ask you two weeks later why the problem has not gotten better.I had top of the line equiptment but that can't compete with the ignorance of the powers to be. Sports turf is hard to take care of because of the use it gets. They do look nice when you put alot of time into them and are given a break once in a while. Also expect them to play in the pouring rain. I drove by one day during a downpour and saw them playing anyway. When I asked about it they said that they only had the field for that time slot nad they did not have any time left in the year to re-schedule.In short the most important thing you can carry on your trailer is a magic wand for those high use fields. You might also want to try to pregerminate the seed before you put it down so it will come up quicker. Just keep reminding the coach that people generally do not run around on new lawns so not to expect perfect results with high use. Hopefully he will understand and be helpful. Good luck and the best thing about sports fields is very little trimming! Jon G.
  5. Spring sports fields should be overseed in the fall when the are dormant and fall sports should be overseeded in the

Fields that are in constant yearly use are a lost cause.

There is nothing one can due in many cases to the lack of common sence and ignorance that is displayed by those who hold positions of power in the public school system.

Frankly if I had any kids they would be in private school from day one.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I can imagine if you had a kid his name would be Pebble's. That's a little Stone..............ha...........get it...........ha!

I know, it was a dry one!
  7. Things could be worse if his name was Fruity Pebbles.