Sports Field Overseeding Help II

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Sep 10, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I started a second thread on the subject, because the first one went downhill real fast. Sorry. Here's the original post. Thanks in advance for any beneficial replies.

Can anybody give me a good seed suggestion for overseeding a few sports fields? I'm located in zone 5.

Fields are used may-mid october for youth baseball, soccer and football. Pretty much a mixed bag right now, including an overabundance of clover

I've seen turf type tall fescue mentioned here often for it's drought and heat resistance. Might this be a good choice?

Fields are NOT irrigated, but do have a fair amount of clay and retain a lot of water after rainy periods.

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i still say perrenial rye.....

3. GreenMonster

from NH

My concerns with rye (which may be incorrect) are it's better performance in shade, and not being as resilant as other turf grasses???

Plus, icky rust this time of year.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We ued a blends from a local supplier of KGB, Perrrenial Rye and tall fescue. Contact a seed supplier or five and see what they recomend, you could aslo talk to a few municipal employees and see waht they are using. I'd contact a local Cooperative Extension Service first and ask a Master Gardner, just don't let them know you are business, they tend to frown on this. Personally I think if they are public entity they should help everyone including businesses IMO.

5. fga

i've had great luck with it in the shade, yes. but excellent in full sun also. The conditions here are similar to what you described. most houses don't water, and 1/3 of the island is called "clay pit ponds". i'm sure it has its ups and downs, like the color of the green isn't as dark as others. but what i like best about it, which would benefeit a sports field is the quick germination and startup growth. i'd see it coming up in a week in some cases. people can be impaitient so it works for me.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

I didn't think of the co-op service. I might give that a try. The seed suppliers too.

Anyone think Lesco could help with suggestions? I got one an hour or so away, but haven't used them for anything.

7. GreenMonster

from NH

I don't particularly need quick germination. My aim is to thicken the existing and help choke out weeds for next year.

Maybe it is something I should include in a blend, as stated by out4now.

8. fga

I was going by my old rountine of constantly fixing it. it would finally be nice, and then :realmad: .. good luck. are you maintaining it, or a one time fixer.

9. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Going through the same situation here for our athletic field. Tons of use including gym classes, recess, football practices (very hard on the turf), soccer, and misc. programs. The field is going non-stop from 9:00a to sometimes 7:00p.

Used a combo of Rye and KBG last year. Worked really well! However, the turf needs that same treatment again now. I don't care what seed types you use, this area will never stay lush... especially because it's not irrigated. There is just no time for the grass to recover.

So, next week I'll begin an intense aeration and overseeing. I'll try to document the results.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Adding some Turface Profile to the clay feilds will help with the comaction. The rubber granules don't help comapction so don't bother with those. Micrizal apps, along with Nutra-Max apps will help though. Lot of turf stress on sports areas. The pros are all moving towards the palleted sectional type systems to make quick replacement a breeze. Floyd Perry had some good products and ideas on his GMS site but most of the stuff is overpriced. The drill and Fill machine for profile would make you a fortune if you were a sub that specialized in renovations. I found heavier Potasium apps helped as well.