Sports Field Overseeding Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Sep 10, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Can anybody give me a good seed suggestion for overseeding a few sports fields? I'm located in zone 5.

Fields are used may-mid october for youth baseball, soccer and football. Pretty much a mixed bag right now, including an overabundance of clover :cry:

I've seen turf type tall fescue mentioned here often for it's drought and heat resistance. Might this be a good choice?

Fields are NOT irrigated, but do have a fair amount of clay and retain a lot of water after rainy periods.

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

if you could go ahead and change your quote about me, I will let you know on the sports turf from the book I'm reading

3. GreenMonster

from NH

I'll wait and see if I can get help elsewhere first.
    :waving:

4. chevyman1

sounds good man....something tells me a little advice is hardly enough to help you...it's a shame, you do nice landscaping work, but if you are this way with your customers you can do the best work in the world, and if you can't sell it, you are a waste....

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

ouch, dude.

6. chevyman1

trust me FGA, there is no ouch to it...you are dealing with someone who's not exactly 'with it'

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I used to maintain a huge soccer filed at my church. i used Perrenial rye, and it worked for me, filled in quickly with these little monsters ripping it up.

8. chevyman1

growing up on a farm, I can tell you rye is the best thing you could do in that situation

9. GreenMonster

from NH

You got that right! :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Thanks for reminding me about my customers. They're such a PITA.... I gotta go call and coddle a few of them right now.

Any good excuses I can give for not showing up and doing work as promised?

P.S. I already invoiced them for the work I haven't done.

10. chevyman1

his signature should read this:

Mark
    Green Monster Landscapes
    I Will Be "GREEN" With Envy over Chevyman's work!

I'm done with you, for the good of the board and myself. Have a good weekend :waving: