1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sports fields/irrigation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i'm now preparing my propsal for some sports field maintenance. they want me to provide chemical and fert aplications. question: are sports fields irrigated? how? you can't have sprinkler heads in the middle of the 50 yard line. also i've heard they need "constant" aeration. what is constant? you know it cant be done during the season while the teams are playing on the field, so when and how often? ex: the football field, there will be a game there on fridays, sat, and sundays. this leaves monday thru thursday for work on the field. any advice will be great
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that back in the days at my old high school that had about 3 heads in the middle of the field, and the rest were off to the side. But those heads had A LOT of pressure.

I would first look at the football schedules. When are the away games and home games? This could help you out big time and give you more time then you thought that you had.

But that is a good question about how often. If it was me, I would aerate it about every 3 weeks. Usually high school football teams have a nine game schedule. So do it before the season, after 3 games, then after 3 games, and after 3 games, and then finally I would do it again at the end of the season to prep it for winter.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

all core aerations, or the other method?
  4. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

Athletic fields are do have irrigation, depending on the facility, you could have heads within the playing field area. The Rose Bowl was using Toro 640's a few years ago. Some fields have installed sprinkler heads through out the field, others use rain
    guns (water canons). All of your maintenance will have to be preformed around the scheduled use of the fields. Especailly the chemical applications and aeration. After core aeration matting the field with a heavy chain link fence will break up the cores, spreading the cores, and leaving a presentable appearance to the field. As for how often to aerate that would be determined by the turf grass being maintained. With the heavy schedule you have mentioned in your post once a month August through October should relieve any compaction on the field during the season, and once in the spring. I can see where scheduling the seeding of the playing fields around the game use of the fields could be the biggest challenge for you. Good luck.
  5. frequency of aerification would depend on soil type, amount of play, and field capacity of soil when in use. What did I miss?

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

wouldnt constant aeration create a "soft" turf? which is easily torn up by 200 lb seniors wearing cleats?
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Most sports fields I've seen were watered with "traveling" sprinklers, and, as TimTurf said, aerification would be based on soil type, amt. of play, etc.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I would be worried about as well. Perhaps call up a local university that has a grass playing field and ask them how they do it.
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Try this link http://turfgrass.hort.iastate.edu/extension/
    Iowa State has a very good turf program and their website is very helpful.
    Have you ever read Sports Turf Managers Association magazine
    Not sure if that link is correct?

Not sure if this will help, hope it does.