spot door tagging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cinimod, May 25, 2006.

1. Cinimod

Cinimod LawnSite Member

How much success does one have in driving around a subdivision and leaving a door hanger at only the yards that look like they need mowing? Is it better to just walk from house to house and tag doors or is the here and there door tags better ? Any feed back is appreciated, I would like to hear how it has worked for you in the past.
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Walk house to house. If they can't take care of their lawns this far into the season, I have doubts that they can afford full service lawn care from a company.
  3. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I just got a hit yesterday doing that. I was doing a clients lawn and as we were driving off I saw a real eye sore out of the corner of my eye. Pulled over put a hanger on the door and this morning I got a call from the woman who wants me to come out today. She actually wants me to cut it today and bill her.. I think people who neglect their property are busy people and just don't have the time. I wouldn't go out to just spot tag but if your driving and see a neglected property can't hurt to tag it.:drinkup:
  4. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

i do that and i have picked up about 8 of the 40 - 50 flyer's i have handed out.
    most of these people have been good customers so far and the most common thing i get told is ...
    the guy i hired never showed up .
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

She wants you to bill her? Hope you priced accordingly and good luck on payment. I would never bill a one time cut. But since you are if you have a camera take a before and after. If she asks what you are doing tell her you like to look at your work on the computer and you save a pic in your database of all customers.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, and that's the reason I don't do spot tags, too much of a chance that I might end up lowballing the job as well.

No doubt it's effective targeting on one hand, yet could appear lazy or desperate on the other, I find if you're putting out flyers then you're putting out flyers so do them all :)
  7. MowForLess

MowForLess LawnSite Member

Two things wrong....IMMEDIATE phone call back, and bill her. The last being the worse of the two. Tells me that either two broke or too lazy. Worst kind of customer. And man have I have a few like that when I started.

But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
  8. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Actually, she wants a seasonal contract. She said she can't get in touch with her old LC. Also, the price for the initial cut is well above my normal charge for a lawn that size..:drinkup:

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I say make'em pay with a credit card. I just got my credit card merchant account setup last week and ran my 1st credit card last weekend. It was amazing. The money was sitting in my checking account 2 days later. No more mailing out bills at $.39 cents a pop, no more waiting for payment, no more worrying about if I'll get paid, no more going to the bank to cash checks, no more worrying that the checks might bounce. I love it. I can't believe I didn't go that route earlier. I also found it very gratifying to come home after a long day of mowing and run the charges threw. Kind of makes you feel like you just got paid for a hard days work versus waiting 30 days to bill for your work. It was so easy to setup and costs almost nothing. Setup was free, costs are about $18/month. If anyone is interested, I have a good contact that is very helpful w/ one of the better companies. Just email me at
  10. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Works great for me i picked up four accounts doing that this season :usflag: