spot in back lawn (snow mold)?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

noticed spots in back lawn

right in line with mower path...

dcp00584.jpg

2. ant

pic 2

we had a blanket of snow for month or so...
    this lawn mainly tall fescue.
    the ring to the bottom left is new sod ....
    found out that it was cut last week.

ant

dcp00585.jpg

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Ant,

Did it look like this before it was cut?

How low was it cut?

How saturated is the area?

Is it possible the lawn cutters are using those new striping rollers and they cut it when it was too saturated. This causing the grass to mat down resulting a disease discoloring the lawn?

I have never seen anything like that before.

Let me know what you think caused it.

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Ant,

how long was the grass during the winter? Did you see the grass as the snow was melting? Usually you can see the mold on the grass. Pink snow mold patches are usually less than a foot wide and the wet grass is covered with bright, pale-pink mold. Gray snow mold occurs in larger patches and the wet grass is covered with a white to blueish-gray mold. Did you see any molds while the grass was still wet? Mold would typically be a random pattern.

If no mold, it may be a case of winter kill. When did they last fertilize last year? What was used? Who did the job? Is the crossing pattern a fert pattern or just a mowing pattern?

jim

5. ant

jim.
    i did not see any mold
    the patterns are from the mowers.
    there is a good chance that it was left long and if i remember right it needed to be cut 1 more time.
    i used a 33-3-11 at about +-1/2 lb per m.

6. lawnstudent

Ant,

when did you apply the 33-3-11? Did you follow this mowing pattern when you applied the fert?

jim

7. ant

no ...late oct-2002

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Without a look at the individual leaf tissue I would say you have a leaf blight of some sort - possibly Fussarium or Curvularia.
    Need an upclose photo of the leaf tissue.

9. lawnstudent

Ant,

was top growth dormant when you applied that fert last Oct? Or did you stimulate a flush of new growth before the cold set in?

jim

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a little of the same thing in my back yard from when we spun the dormant fert on late. It is a not to worry. I'm not sure why the grass that was compressed in the wheel tracks on my lawn and yours doesn't show the symptoms. I found some leaf spots and a necrotic band where the dead meets the green on some leaves. My back should have been mowed one more time last fall and was not.

I think one cut a notch or two shorter, done right away willtake care of this as new growth will be tall soon and the dead tips will be shorter than the regualr mowing height.