spot spray pricing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by charmill26, Jul 26, 2012.

1. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello I was wondering how you guys go about pricing spot spraying? I am not asking how much to charge I know my costs, labor, etc. I am asking how you charge the customer. Are you guys charging based on how many gallons you use per trip or do you have a set monthly price regardless of how much or how little is needed? Obviously each lawn is different and some require more work than others if they are a new customer with a troubled lawn. For those that include spot spraying with fertilizing apps do you guys just estimate roughly how many gallons of herbicide you think you would use per month/season and factor that in? Thanks.

PS I am certified/licensed I'm just trying to figure out the best way to bill

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If your spot spraying you should only be using oz's not gallons. If it's that bad you need a blanket coverage.

3. charmill26

On average I'd say I'm using 1-3 gallons for the initial spray. Most of the lawns are in good shape I just haven't done any weed control in past years. After the initial spray it's always been less than a gallon.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest a dollar per minute. Spot spraying is time-comsuming. You have to walk the whole yard just looking for leaves. Charge for the trip, if a trip to the site is needed. The amount of solution used is not much and not much cost involved. You are using a backpack sprayer, right? How do you measure how much solution you used? Pour it out into a measuring bucket?

5. charmill26

Yep using backpack sprayers. I eyeball down to the half gallon. I'm just trying to get pricing figured out for "typical" monthly spot spraying. I'm thinking once its a continuing customer and the initial weeds are under control I will be using a half gallon at the max each month if that. I'm thinking maybe factor in costs and time/labor for up to 1-2 gallons to figure out a set price? 2 gallons would be overkill but I'd like to cover myself just in case

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you have customer on a chem program spot spraying should be included.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

That's how I do it. If its a new account and there is a huge outbreak of Dallis and nutsedge, I might charge a small amount just for chemical costs.

But since I got my Z a couple of years ago, I don't backpack much at all. Keep aux tank and two big tanks with their own chemicals and use the machine to do all the work.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you there doing regular maintenance/mowing or are you making a special trip? If making a special trip, I suggest half of a regular app price. Just a thought.

kbrashears, I'm really seeing that I should have had one of those independent tanks installed instead of one of the trays on my z-sprays. This drought has made me hold my purse strings a lot tighter these days but I think that is something I'll spring for before next season.

9. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

I just sell a program. Service calls are free but rarely needed.

10. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

They just drop right into the tray. I can take it off the machine by lifting it out and unplugging it. Simple and easy. I really think I'm going to order a second one. One tank for sedges and grassy weeds. One for insecticide. Also, when it's pre time I spray as normal, then use the aux to hit the hard to reach areas and trim out all the curb sidewalk areas. Sure they are expensive, but well worth it.