Spot spraying herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a recomendation on what sort of herbicide I should use for spot spraying?

99% of my yards are fesuce and Ive been leaning towards Triamine II as it seems to control and supress the broadest amount of weeds and can also be used on 2 or 3 of my warm season lawns.

Thanks in advance

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I don't know that there is one specific herbicide that is best at everything. Some are better in cool temps than others, while some are better once it warms up. Some do great at knocking out d-lions while others are great for whacking clover and spurge. Your target weed and conditions should drive your herbicide selections. Take a little time to investigate surfactants and adjuvants as well.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I like Lesco Three Way Ester II, or Momentum FX is a good one also. Add some Quicksilver to the brew and it knocks them down fast.

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i like 2-4-d for broadleaf in grass .

5. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

The good thing about spot treatments is that - if you have more than one sprayer, you can use the best herbicide for the specific type of weed in question. Fescue is pretty tolerant of many types on the market. With 2-3 back-packs and/or a couple of hand-cans on the truck, I keep them separate- Drive 75 for spotty crabgrass, Manage for sedges, MSMA for dallas grass, and either Speed-zone (ester base for cooler temps) or Momentum for summertime.... and, as stated above - use the appropriate sticker for max. benefit. If you step up to a blanket treatment from a large tank, you will want to use less expensive three-ways (esters and amines) that will still give good results. Hope this helps - Good luck.