Spot spraying VS Crabgrass Fert

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I bought a sprayer yesterday and some liquid Ortho weed control. I usually put down the Crabgrass fertilizer, but the lawn usually looks like crap after I put it down. So I thought that this year I would try spot spraying the weeds rather than covering the whole yard. Anyone do it this way?? or do you think that I should still put down a few bags of Crabgrass preventer. I would love to avoid putting down Crabgrass preventer if i don't have to, since I really get more flowering type weeds, rather than Crabgrass to begin with.

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Put down a pre-m, then spot spray with 3 way. There are like 100k weed seeds floating around your yard, pre-m reduces the amount that actually make it.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

WoW....It sound to me like you've got a real mess over there !!

Nothing you blogged here makes any sense at all, in terms of standard lawn maintenance practices.

And you're giving me an inclination from the combination of your verbiage and your frustration that you simply don't have enough turf in your lawn to adequately compete with crabgrass/other annuals in the FIRST place !!!

#1 RULE OF WEED CONTROL IN TURF GRASS = GOOD COMPETITION !!!

Can you post a couple digital pics on this thread.... so we can see exactly what type of situation you're dealing with ???

4. Capemay Eagle

I guess I worded it wrong Marcos, I will start over.

In late March I overseeded my lawn. I Limed a week before I seeded, I then seeded, Fertilized and grub control. I have not applied a pre-m or any weed and feed yet. My lawn has come in beautiful, it is tall fescue with about 20% Kentucky blue for fill in. The only problem being, I have noticed that alot of weeds have been popping up, I have not noticed any crabgrass at all, only dandelions and a few other flowering type weeds. Now what I figured I would do this year is just spot spray the weeds rather than apply weed and feed or crab grass preventer. Like I said every time I apply and type of weed and feed, my lawn usually dies out or browns out and just never looks the same.

Now my question was does anyone else just use a sprayer and just spot spray the weeds as they appear, rather than adding bags of weed and feed??. I bought a 2 gallon sprayer and just figure that I will spray the weeds as they appear. Or is it to late to still add a pre-m?? I don't want to kill the newly sprouted grass. Like I said I don't want to put down anything if I don't have to.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I think what they were saying is that you need the fert to keep the weeds down. Not that you don't have enough turf just keep it a little pumped and spot spray at the same time. Dimension would have helped a bit with the fert and weeds but you are on the right track. How many times have you mowed it? You need to wait a little bit before treating.
    Why did you put down grub control in march is my only question? Where they a persistent problem last year then you need to look at your timing. I know up here you start seeing signs of grub damage in mid-late june.
    If you think the lawn is healthy and dense enough to make it through the year without any pre-m, then go to it. But you should get something, you could always follow up with another shot of starter and then a nice slow release/org before the heat comes. Good luck

6. Capemay Eagle

Thank's for the tips DC.

I had a few bags of Grub control sitting around for a while, so I just applied it. I had a serious mole problem last summer, so I just thought I would get a jump and use the stuff up and see if it helps. I don't think I have a serious grub problem if any, since the roots are very stong in the lawn. I think my soil is loaded with earthworms rather than grubs, everytime i pull a weed or turn some soil over a bunch of worms come crawling out. So I think the moles are eating the worms.

7. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Dude, the sprayer works Kinda....but you must be patient. Some weeds take 3 weeks to kill with multiple applictions. I've seen Ortho take so long to kill a dandilion, it seeded. You have to use it generously, and often.

The downside is that you have dead weeds all over your lawn for a while and looks like crap, which is why I went to a pre-emergent this year and have already seen the impact.

The vacant 6 acre property across the street from mine is a golden field of dandilion flowers......I have a few, but nothing compared to my neighbors.

Bottom line, spraying will drive you nuts every time one of those little bastards pop up. It's madening.

8. Marcos

You are right.
    Moles are likely eating the earthworms.

In the part of the country you are in...it is still too early and too cool for many grub species to be active in the "upper" layers of the turf's soil....so (more than likely) you wasted your leftover bags of grub control in your attempt to "throw them at" last year's mole problem....sorta like Don Quixote and the windmill...

"Every time I pull a weed or turn some soil over a bunch of worms come crawling out."

Are you kidding ?!? You ought to feel blessed !!!! :)

And from the perspective of a guy that's been in the green industry for a QUARTER CENTURY, if you keep dumping stuff like grub control on your lawn...unnecessarily...(or at the wrong times)...you'll sooner or later have a major decline in earthworm activity...and your yard will begin to get as hard as CONCRETE because it won't be (as) "naturally aerated" as it was before !!!

To a mole....earthworms are "hamburgers"...they'll eat them every day...and they DO !!

To a mole...(and to raccoons, skunks, birds, etc..) grubworms are a "STEAK DINNER" !! ...something they "get" to dine on at (generally... two) "specific" points in time during the season !!

9. Marcos

The above statement makes absolutely NO sense...unless :

a) you're grossly over applying the "weed and feed" product every time and consequently burning some of the more sensitive grass in the yard ...

OR

b) you've actually got more weeds than turf in your yard than you realize...and the "weed and feed" is actually doing it's job VERY well,...but, a week or two later, you're not left with enough 'green ' in the yard as a result !

....thus...... (you may find in retrospect) you may not have had enough "competition" against the weeds in the 1st place (as what I suggested in my first blog)

(I'm sorry about the lecture in the previous blog, Capemay...but I had to get the point across...and it's been a tough morning here :cry: for some reason)

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member