1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spots of Bermudagrass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys (& Ladies),
    I have noticed some spots of Bermudagrass coming up in the yard, couple of which I have done pulled and others I have just rubbed on some MSDA which of course killed it.

However; with the temps above 90 where they are right now I don't want to spray 2,4-D so other then pulling (which leaves a bald spot) or MSDA how can I rid myself of this before the problem worsens?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What?

Bermuda, MSDA?, 2-4D? What's MSDA? 2-4D will have no effect on bermuda, reguardless of temps. Pulling it really dosn't work unless you can dig deep enough to get ALL of the roots out.

Turflon Ester is a good option for suppression of Bermuda in cool season turf. If you want to really slow it down, and potentially KILL it, mix Acclaim in with the Turflon Ester. I've done this in my own lawn and can tell you it does work. Much better than just the TE alone.

The only other option is a non-selective herbicide (round-up). But unless you start the kill out process early, and spray the spots several times over the summer as it comes back, your chances of having a 100% kill are slim, and it will likely re-appear the next summer.

3. kirk1701

Sorry Jason, meant MSMA :sleeping:
    I was still half asleep at the time I posted.

Thanks for the info

4. kirk1701

OK just now getting back to answer this a bit further. (busy week)

Anyhow, is Turflon Easter & Trimec the same thing? I'm pretty sure it's not but I maybe just getting the two confused so I wanted to ask. At same time, which would be better to kill Bermuda? I just mowed this morning and noticing more and more Bermuda with a few spots of foxtail and something else I have not identified yet, looks like a vine and creps low to the ground I'll get pics.

This question also came from anthoer thread here, as I didn't want to Hi-jack a thread. :waving:

5. kirk1701

UPDATE!
    I know you guys love a good laugh so :drinkup:
    I called Southern States to see if they carried TE; me knowing how the guys down there are I already had the label for TE pulled up on my PC, had some other links pulled up and first thing he asked was what were the active ingredients :laugh:

Me tabs on over to the PDF, starts reading and he says the only thing he would have close to this would be MSMA and he's out of that right now so I tell him I have some here, he asks what the label on it says so I tell him yadie yadie bla bla and he starts searching the internet.

Sit down here's the punch line.

THE GUY STARTS READING BACK THIS VERY THREAD TO ME :laugh:

6. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Fusilade II it took about a week or so but after 2 week i can see the Bermuda going away in Zoisa. rate .07-.14 per 1000sq ft Plus .32 nonionic surfactant

This has worked for me
    Cost for 32oz 69$ at the high rate you can get 228 aps

7. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure it is a true ester, and not a blend with 2-4D in it. The 2-4D knocks out the benefits that the acclaim provides.

8. kirk1701

Actually, I was awaiting a reply to ask just that. Think the Turflon Easter will just take care of the Bermuda right? I still have foxtail in places so I was going to ask about mixing 2,4-D with the Turflon to get the broadband weeds and anything else and if that was possible?

Or is that the benefits that the acclaim?

and yes, wanted to spray next week while forecast is predicting low to mid 80's :drinkup:

9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

The turflon ester and acclaim are a 1-2 punch with extra kick.

I'm not sure how well acclaim works on foxtail. I have been using MSMA for foxtail and dallisgrass control.

If it is straigt 2-4d, I would think you are OK in mixing with the turflon ester. However, I would use Chaser from CPS. It is an ester formulation that has 2-4d in it. Momentum FX from JDL is also a good product to use.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sheesh... The guy was trying to pass off MSMA as a substitute for the Turflon Ester you were asking for. That's sad... Turflon Ester is actually a BROADLEAF weed herbicide, it just has the nice extra benifit of being able to "supress" bermudagrass, bascially by just making it sick. It only knocks it back for about a month, so over the summer you really need to make an application of TE every month while the bermuda is actively growing.

Now, adding Acclaim to the mix, like grass4gas said, kicks it up a notch. The two mixed together will pretty much kill bermuda. over a summer, if you treat it as you find it, you can likely rid the lawn of it in one season. Acclaim is a grassy weed herbicide.

You can also spray the mix on general weeds, broadleaf and grassy, and it works well on them as well, obviously. Foxtail, however, is a much harder to kill weed once it's fully grown. I don't believe Acclaim will do it.

Mixing 2-4D in with your mix to supress/kill bermuda is going to give you no benifits at all. You start mixing up a mess like that and you may increase your risk of injuring the lawn too.

The trouble you may have is FINDING Acclaim. It's not something the local garden center is going to have. It's really a professional product. You can find it in pint bottles at Lesco/John Deere landscapes, for about $100, for the pint. But not every place carries the pints, they only sell it by the gallon. Do the math there... Expensive product, and a SMALL amount goes a long ways.