1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray a weed here and there...do I need a license?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by augs dad, Feb 17, 2002.

1. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

I try to obey all the rules that apply to our business. I have a couple of clients that love the work I do but they are insisting I put down their Scotts products. TOld them I don't do that because I'm not certified and don't have insurance for that exposure.(Most have a separte fert. contractor which is fine with me) If the client provides the product I assume I am in violation if I apply it?? Also, I occasionally have to spray a weed or 2 in their beds(Roundup) Is this a no no too? thanks much...Gary

You cannot spray roundup,or any weed control,with out a license.
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

You need to check your state and local laws regarding this. they vary a good deal across the country. An easy way is to call your local extension agent, they'll have the answers.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you NEED a license for everything you mentioned.

Why not go and take the test so you can offer these services?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Scraper. Yes, you need a license. But as smb said, check with your local Ag Ext office. They can tell you.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes. A license does not apply to quanity it applies to ability, just as your drivers license.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

As mentioned earlier, each state is different. In NC you need a license to apply roundup, pesticides, etc.... but there are ways around it. I'm sure Kirby will correct me on this if I'm in error. If you don't charge the customers than you're not in violation. Nothing says they can't give you a tip.

8. Scraper

Sounds to me like you're unlicensed. So I guess since you don't charge you can do what you want? That answers your reply in the cost to fertilize thread. I would bet anything that even if you don't charge, if where you apply isn't your property, you have to be licensed. If you in fact aren't licensed...you really should not be offering advice regarding the use of herbicides and pesticides.

P.S. If you look at where Augs Dad is from and where I am from, my response answered his question. I believe AD is going to follow thru and get his license. And yes, I am certified and business licensed.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Scraper-- In response to your post, yes, I'm fully licensed in regard to applying pesticides and herbicides. Just exposing the loopholes in the system. Maybe you should review the thread " What's with the BS?".

10. Scraper

That's what sounds like BS...and if it is a loophole why would you want unlicensed people to know? Kinda like the fertilizing as a freebie.