1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray chemicals in the rain????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by old dog 80, Jun 28, 2006.

1. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

On Monday I went past a Trugreen Chemlawn technician spraying in the rain with 3" more forcast!!! Is that even legal? No wonder people want to shut
    off all lawn apps! Do the rest of you feel that is going too far.I am seriously
    considering taking them to Penn DEP! :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

The big chemical guys in our area care about one thing only; billing the customer! We've seen them apply in the rain, the wind, over leaf cover in the fall etc. and people go right back to them year after year. No matter how crappy the service they hire them everytime:cry:
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They do dumb stuff like that, but in all fairness, it IS possible that he was puting down an insecticide only ap.. If that was the case, the upcoming rain would actually be more beneficial (provided it isn't a 6 hr. downpour).
  4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Well done Joe.

There are some treatments such as Merit that need to be watered in.
    I do occasionally apply them in the rain.
    Especially on those properties that arent irrigated.
  5. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt this time to an insect app, especially given the season. Been there, done that. Hate doing it because it does give a bad impression, but if the lawn needs it, so be it.
  6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Or just straight fert in the rain is fine.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I agree with Scott's Yard Care. Same O same O. 90% of my state's complaints are from true-dead. They spray in the rain. They spray in 45 mph winds. I've read invoice statements from tru-brown applicators that say "the rain will activate the herbicide".

truclown is a joke throughout this entire Country. Spraying weeds in the rain or windy days, etc. They suck and they lie. They are on a quota system.

I started with ChemLawn in 1977 when they were reputable and were the "pioneer in the industry". Since then, they have been bought out 3 different times. The 3rd and final buyout was "trugreen" - since then...well, you heard the stories, and they are true. Too bad for the industry.