1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

spray deck with what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green thum, May 1, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: I've read where some of you spray your decks to prevent grass from sticking to the deck.what do you recommend spraying the deck with?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

PAM cooking oil

3. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

I have tried all that but I think at the rate these mowers are used its going to eventually stick short of scraping and respraying everyday. I have to admit I got lazy and quit doing that on regular basis, partially because I never saw a big enough difference. I am small time, I am curious what guys think who mow many hours do

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

i see a dramatic diff. in cut quality, after a day of mowing- even in good cond. (6' fab. deck)...all that crap stuck to the deck impedes air flow...IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIFT,man.
    but, i'm also doing 30+ acres w/ a single superZ, try to always run as fast as the terrian, and my old body, will allow.
  5. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys,I usually put between 8 and 12 hrs a week on my ztr,my toro wb does nt have an hr meter but i,m guessing about the same on it.just a solo operation trying to get bigger.by the way do you guys advertise much in the busy(growing season)I'm guessing most people alredy have there services set up for the season.
  6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

All year round myself. I really never advertised till last fall. Picked up alot of new business. Ill be going after some commercials this year in SEP. Earlier the better.
  7. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Don't know where exactly that I saw it, maybe in this forum.
    I scrape almost every day and spray with a mixture of canola oil and palmolive dishwashing detergent (4pts oil / 1 part soap), after a few applications, the deck is EASY to scrape.

Hope this helps.

Yes, scraping makes a difference. The cut quality is far better with scraped decks.
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Use the MEG MO blades and almost never clean a deck again. In the 11 yrs. that we have use the MEG MO blades we have NOT clean a deck of grass.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Decks get scraped everyday when blades get changed. No problems with buildup. :)
  10. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Try painting it a time or two a year. :D