1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray During "Green-Up" ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 420deere, Mar 13, 2008.

1. 420deere

420deere LawnSite Member

Grass is turning green in south Georgia, do I wait a few weeks to resume spraying? I'm using 2 4-D and atrazine on centipede, and St. Augustine-will this delay green-up or harm the grass?

Are there other products I could use?

420 Deere
  2. mdoehling

mdoehling LawnSite Member

You use Atrazine on grass, The only place i have ever seen that used is for grass control in field corn... hasn't been used around here in years. Like decades. I believe it is also a restricted use product? Y'all do think a bit different in the south.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Atrazine is an excellent product to use on centipede and St. Aug. I don't deal with a whole lot of that here, there is a little though. I use trimec southern on my cents and St.'s. I use it in combination with simazine. If you are uncomfortable with atrazine, check with your state ag extension service or your product dealer/rep. Occasionally, I'll use atrazine and I do know you aren't supposed to spray it on bermuda past April 1 per label instructions. I've seen some bermudas that TGCL absolutely smoked with atrazine spraying too late.
  4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Are you spraying 2-4D on St. Augustine? From what I have read, 2-4D in amounts more than .5 AI/Arce is very damaging to St. Augustine. One of the Southern three-way formulations with a small amount of 2-4D or metsulfuron will be much safer.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would wait on the 2,4-D untill the grass is completely greened up. Centipede and st augustine have a marginal tolerance for that herbicide. On the other hand, those grasses will take enough atrazine to get rid of many broadleaf and annual grass weeds pre or post emergent. If you do the atrazine now, the 2,4-D might not be needed and that is much safer for the grass. I once did an acre of st augustine with Quicksilver and metsulfuron in 90 heat. The lawn took it very well, cannot say the same about the clover, spurge and oxalis.