Spray engine when you wash ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoastalEmpire, Aug 2, 2004.

1. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

How do you go about cleaning the your engine when it's really dusty and dirty (the outside of it)

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Garden hose after it is completely cooled and stay away from the electrics and carbs.
    We pressure wash the rest of the mowers but not the motors.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when really dusty and dirty I first take the backpack blower to it and blow everything off. Then I wipe it down and clean it with armor all. The bad thing about using water is sometimes the plugs will get wet so you have to dry them out.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You WASH your Z?! :) What a blower don't get stays on mine.

5. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

Seriously? I gotta wash my baby.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If I had a dollar for each mower I had to fix and replace wiring the was eat up by Purple Power or Dixie Red, I could buy out Bill Gates. I just replace a Walker wirning harness ($90 for the harness) because Purple Power caused a high resistance short in the key switch which slowly cooked the wiring. If you do wash one use plain water or you will be sorry

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow off first, then after fully cooled, Car wash entire unit. Usually once a week. Then blow off again, especially electrics and motor..

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use the blower when in the spring and doing warm season turf scalpings. To clean it finer I use an air nozzle with compressed air. I would never use water period. It may work and do no harm, but I wont do it.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have no hesitation about using a pressure washer on a running engine. I do avoid blasting at wires and such but the block portions and any cowling get hit. I also use a little bit of car wash soap mixed into a couple of gallons of water if I want to hand wash any parts of the engine.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wash all mine, too. No chemicals, just soap and water at the car wash. I keep it blown off all the time, as well.