1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray heads 4",6"or 8" in from lawn edge.?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, May 13, 2014.

1. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

My customer is worried his ride a mower wheels will damage spray heads,he wants them in 10" I'm concerned about edge coverage what's every body doing?
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

10" is quite far in my opinion. I think 4" is fine, if installed on swing arms, or swing pipe with marlex ells to allow a little give when they get driven over.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

marlex ell swing joints render the heads immune from rider mower runover damage
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't say completely immune, but much less likely for damage. I've replaced swing joints and marlex ells that were damaged. But it is very rare. It's also very rare to see marlex at all. Usually swing pipe into a swing ell, into the head.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking more of the homeowner lightweight lawn tractor mowers. Some mammoth ZTR could be a different deal.

My concern with head placements were more about how much leeway was needed for the guys working a steel-blade edger.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

4" is enough. All of my lawns are blade edged. No string. I would prefer 6" to minimize back spray onto sidewalks. The systems that overspray onto hard surfaces are usually placed too close to them.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The more ya keep em in , the more they will overwater onto the driveway.
  8. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

it seems to me distance is not an issue other than to avoid edging damage, and, so far out as to leave a dry spot.

one mentor told me to keep a "closed-fist distance" between head and concrete.

when using swing joints, dont position the head over the pipe, or down force will break the pipe....same reason i personally dont care for threaded cut-off risers
  9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

4" is enough distance between driveway or sidewalk here in SW Florida.
    easy-lift guy
  10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

6 inches here is rule so as to not waste water
    Posted via Mobile Device