Spray herbicide in cold

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Apr 23, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you spray herbicides such as a 3-way mixture in when the weather is still cold? And will it be effective?
    These weeds were sprayed at a temp average of about 40 degrees on March 28.

And then at a temperature only slightly warmer of average for the day of 46 on April 7, 2013 .
    Weeds were yellow rocket.
    Both sprays appeared to work, or at least to result in major distortion and yellowing...so far.

S3500004.jpg

S3500005.jpg

2. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

i sprayed 3way at the end of feb here in georgia. it got extremly cold after i sprayed. the big broadleafs curled but never died completly. im having to finish the kill this round. aggrivating to new customers. next year ill use something else when its 35 degrees. my fault

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't plan to spray much at all 1st round here this year. No active weeds out at all right now. I'll hit em 2nd round when they come to life.

4. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck. Killing half baked weeds is a biotch. Your mode of action is all messed up to start with.

5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

really? i didnt just state that thanks for the help!:clapping:

6. GreenLandscaping13

GreenLandscaping13 LawnSite Member

If it hasn't gotten too warm yet (not sure where you are located) I would go with a product called Super Trimec. A gallon will cover up to 4 acres so it has become a very cheap application for me. I was on a site called www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply.com earlier this week and saw some for under $90 which is what you will pay in a local store if they even had it. I have bought insecticides from though so you can trust that site. Be careful though because the product gets hot fast once your up in the 80s.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. buddee

buddee LawnSite Member

You can use regular Trimec (3 way) with not much problems in cold, its the mix rate which will matter most, especially being that this post was originated in Apr. - transition spraying comes into play. Of course general rule of thumb - the hotter it is outside, the less 3 way you use. The colder it is outside - the more you would use. Here in AR - in the winter - we mix trimec at 1 oz to gallon of H2O and it pretty well wipes out most everything it needs to, it takes some time due to colder temps, but eventually works fine.

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

we had the same cool weather here as well, but our post herbicide apps were further compounded by extremely dry conditions here, that is something else that should be taken into account.

in early may, we had browing broadleafs