1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray Hose

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Jan 10, 2006.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Need to find a supplier for spray hose. 300' of 1/2 or 3/8.
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

3. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

Also check out Blue Ribbon Hose.

I plan on using them next time I need to replace. Less kinking, no ovaling out (according to website).
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

check out westheffer.com , last year I bought green garde 600 psi 3/8 I.D. for $.50 a foot , 1/2 in was $.65 a foot. I recomend the 3/8 because it is so much easier to pull around than the 1/2 and I saw no difference in spray pressure!
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

hey scweedman,
    I just sent you a pm about some 300' 1/2' hose I have for sale. Hardly used, just wasn't long enough for some jobs.
  6. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I talked to the guy at blue ribbon hose the other day and they are sending me some samples. It sounded like a really toug hose. If you call them they will send you some samples. I am waiting for them, need 3 rolls 1/2 x 300 for my new spray truck.
  7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I ordered 300 feet of 1/2" Blue Ribbon hose and couldn't be happier with it. It's nice and flexible and looks to be a clear step up from any spray hose I've used. Fred Colburn (Owner) is GREAT to deal with too!

This 300' roll was $288 shipped to my door. That's a win, win situation.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the half-inch hose can deliver more gallons per minute. 3/8 hose suffers friction losses at higher pressure, don't plan on much more than 2 gals per minute. Pumptec (sponsor) can explain the pressure losses due to friction for each 100 feet.PM him.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. Pumptecguy

Pumptecguy Inactive

Here is a line loss chart.

The restriction of hose size and length works the same way as a nozzle.

All the pressure backs up to the pump and decreases from there. If you refer to the chart, then you can see, for example, that at 3 gpm the line loss is 50 psi/100 ft of 3/8" hose. Compare this to 1/2" hose and you see the line loss is 10-12 psi/100 ft. For example, the pressure has to be 50 psi higher (with 3/8" hose) at the pump than at the gun end to achieve the pressure desired.

There is obvious convenience in hauling 3/8" hose everywhere instead of 1/2" hose, but it is necessary to understand the consequences in terms of pumps and power.

The only pumps that can power this type of flow through 3/8" hose are plunger/piston pumps and Italian diaphragm pumps (Udor, Comet, Hypro, John Blue, etc....) Roller and centrifugal pumps will not do this.

Some understand this concept from the irrigation perspective, but there are some differences. In irrigation, the pressure is limited to either the house pressure or centrifugal boost pump pressure. Neither of these provide much pressure. As a result, there may be an unnecessary overemphasis on big hoses. With sprayers, the pressure can be increased much higher to overcome undersized hose.

Attached Files: