Spray or weedeat it????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I bought a new house last winter in a new subdivision, between our yard and the corn field is a 6 foot strip of 4 foot tall weeds that the subdivisions claims they will eventually make into a drainage ditch and line with rock... I can't mow it because there are a bunch of rocks.. Should I simply spray it with Round-Up or grab the weed eater????

2. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Spray it w/round up, then apply spectracide, it will prevent growth for up to a year.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

be careful and dont have any spray drift on the corn otherwise the farmer will be looking for you. personally i would keep weedeating it.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If the subdivision is going to put in a drainage ditch there must be some kind of a water situation there. I would not apply any spray and would just use the trimmer to keep everything under control.

Gravely_Man

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Even if they have no plans to do anything until next year????

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Well if there is corn in the corn field then i would worry about having spray drift going into the field and killing the corn. Corn is an easy plant to kill with a little bit of spray. Leanred that the hard way when i was farming for a few years. Just be careful if you decide to spray for drift, runoff, etc. Pick the day with no wind.

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

trim it down then spray it

8. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Do Neither

Call the Home Owners Association and tell them that it is an eyesore and snake pit and to have their lawn co. do it.:D :D

Unless your the LCO.

9. Seon

Seon LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner and live on a hill with 2"- 6" river rocks thru-out the property. I spray roundup three-four times a year and still the weeds grow back. Where can I get spectracide?