1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spray rig?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, Jun 6, 2005.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Does anyone have a spray rig in a van? If so, what type of set up do you have? Any pics? I have been looking at buying a van and putting a tank to spray out of. I know Scott's and Lawn Doctor use them but I have never seen the inside to see how they have there spray rig set up.

Anyone have any pro's or cons on this? If you do use a van what do you have or what would you change?

Thanks for any info

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i worked for scotts, and the van set up is a great way to go if all you do is fert/squrt.. the liquid is set up for out the side door, and granular out the rear.. the best part of the set up for the small guy?? you can buy a skid (40) of 50# bags and not worry about storage/loading/getting wet.. try www.csturfequip.com or www.westheffer.com they both have a catalog with pictures.. as for me i do more then fert/squrt.. so a trailer and pick up is my way... can't get 2yrds of bulk mulch in the rear of the van (at least not without fliping it on end) :rolleyes:
  3. I have a spray rig in my van also. When I got started, I didn't have the cash for a C&S spray rig + installation, so I bought a used skid sprayer and had that mounted in my van. I highly recommend this configuration because it keeps your fert dry in the rain and you have a much larger side to put a nice graphic for advertising.
  4. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

talk to mark or jesse at westheffer 1-800-362-3110

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I have made thousands of apps. out of both van and pick-up truck with 200 and 300 gal. skids in them. You have read the good points - and they are the truth....but, there are some downsides as well. 1] you will have about 18 inches of headroom between the top of the tank and the roof (hard if you use 50 lb bags of urea . 2] the fumes are almost overwhelming - even with the windows open (we had to install a roof vent to help out). 3] less visibility than a truck when driving (especially if you plan on pulling a trailer). To pull a hose - we made an extension arm that was attached to the skid and pulled out between the open side-doors (sorry - no pics).... you will see what I mean if you use a van.... On the up-side - your biggest plus is the soccer moms not seeing 300 gallons of child-killer pull up in front of the house. If you have a place to store dry product besides inside a van - the truck is your choice for ease of use ...hands down.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

A van look nicer, but you are pretty limited. If you mow as well, how about a skid system mounted to a small dedicated trailer? And I second that on the fume problems!!!!
  7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Why not the best of both worlds?. A truck that holds granular products in an enclosed storage area and has a 300 gal tank that you can't see. Read your adds in Lawn & Landscape, maybe you will see what I am talking about. Working out of vans is the worse, I did it for a couple of years in the late 80's and still remember the smell.
  8. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I was thinking about a 200 gallon across the back axle with a 50 gallon behind drivers seat for fresh water(backpacks) or Tree & Shrub. Reel out the side and spreader and fert out the back door.

Anybody have a different set up or better configuration?

Thanks for the info

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I run with the pick-up as well. I worked out of a van for years. I rarely have fert ruin due to rain.

I am a Westheffer guy too. I work with Scott over there. He's good at returning phone calls!
  10. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do when you need your truck bed?