Spray tank residual

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

This is mostly for those that manage warm season grasses.

I've seen a few threads here in the past about the fear of using Glyphosate in spray rigs. After reading this research article, I was somewhat surprised to see the content.

According to this research publication 2,4-D actually presents much more of a problem with residual than Glyphosate.

Cleaning tanks
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

2,4 D can never be 100% removed or cleaned from a spray setup once it has been used in that tank. Hoses are harder to clean out than tanks.

Knowing this problem exists means working around it. I use a 25 gallon 12V electric set up and a 300 hose reel as a dedicated herbicide sprayer. The little electric units can be purchased for around $ 120. You can mount them on a mower and drive to the area needing sprayed and eliminate the hose reel.

I am a strong believer in dedicated systems for each application. I do not cross contaminate.
  3. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

The ideal situation is to have two rigs. I'm running only one, so I have to work around it as well. 2,4-D and Glyphosate both pose a residual problem, but 2,4-D is the worse of the two. As was stated, you cant ever get ALL the 2,4-D residue out of seals, hoses, anything rubber. You can, however, neutralize it down to the point it is pretty much harmless. I use Nutra-Sol, mix it as per label instructions, agitate it and run it through my system for several minutes, hose included, then let it sit for several hours, sometimes overnight if I have the time. Now it needs to be said that I only use this rig for spraying lawns... even after neutralizing it I wouldnt go and spray ornamentals or something like that with it. But as far as turfgrasses go, I havent had a problem yet. Hope to have two rigs up and running by fall though.