spray windfoil

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Team Gopher, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I thought this was an interesting sprayer. Designed to spray in the wind.

Does anyone use such a device?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Similar devices like those were around in the 80's, mainly for golf course applications. I was interested in buying one, since the course I was on was near a lake and always was windy. I asked my state Dept of Ag inspector if I could use one to spray 2,4D in a 30MPH wind. He said "what does the label say?" I said "the label says not to spray in the wind" He said " then you cannot spray in the wind, regardless of the equipment or method used". He went on to say that if he saw someone spraying in the wind with one of these, they would be in violation and subject to a fine.
  3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! That sounds a little harsh. I do like the idea of a walk behind sprayer. No hose just self contained. I have been looking at the Weelie Spray, Spreader Mate, ProLawns Shieled Sprayer, and the IPM Sprayer from Rittenhouse. Any help on the best one or maybe one I missed?
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, at the time I thought it was harsh, also. But I can see where the inspectors are coming from. It's too bad the chemical manufacturers can't/won't add something to their labeling to allow for a device like the windfoil.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know if you could add just a windfoil to an existiong sprayer?
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 24' folding one but have never used it yet. I bought it from a City that outlawed spraying. It will be a winter project for next year.
  7. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

You can definately add a Windfoil to an existing sprayer. You would need to determine what size you would want. If you want a walk behind unit they come in 40, 60 or 80" or if you want a tow behind unit they are available in 15' or 20' for more information you can visit Rogers site which is the manufacturer of the units www.rogerssprayers.com or www.rittenhouse.ca both sites feature online manuals and tons of information.
    The Windfoil controls drift better than any other sprayer in the world. SImple shrouds are proven to be not effective by studies that were conducted by Agricutural Canada.
  8. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

Sorry for the above typo, should be Agriculture Canada
  9. Turf

Turf LawnSite Member

Check out www.prolawnsprayshields.com they have a full line of shielded sprayers from walk behind, mower mount, atv and utility mounted sprayers and a new great looking spreader that has a built in funnel for material handling and electronic gate and motor controls.