Spray Yard look green or blue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by elite lawns, Mar 22, 2008.

1. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering when you spray your yard or have your yard sprayed like i do what make it look green or blue so you know they were there? do they put a blue dye or green dye in? thank you for your help just wondering

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, they put in dye to tell where they were so they dont mis apply. i havent ever done this but it would be good for guys starting out to learn the coverage or maybe to try to keep costs down by ensuring no overlap.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Common thing for the big "landscapers" in my parts. Rather than spend some money on the correct equipment and a good applicator, blue dye goes in the backpack sprayer. That way the worker can be told to spray the lawn an even shade of blue with an adjustable nozzle running at an undetermined pressure.

4. elite lawns

thank for taking the time to fill me in

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Blue dye can be a very effective tool. I use it in my backpack and handsprayers when spot spraying extremely large properties. It helps you see what you've already sprayed and what you haven't so you're sure not to miss anything. It's not just rookies that use it. However, if you do lack experience or you have a few customers that you want to have no doubt that you've been there, it can be tank mixed for a blanket application. It's very concentrated, so a little goes a long way.

6. elite lawns

where do you get it at your feed store

7. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Tractor Supply has the blue.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How long does it take to fade away?

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Usually a rainfall or 2. depends on how strong you mix it really.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Rain or UV rays get rid of the stuff I use. Turf mark blue. Years ago I tank mixed it but after I learned the ropes I only use it in the backpack for spot spraying. It keeps you from overapplying or missing the spot sprays. I can blanket without overlap and misapplication now so I don't tank mix. It can also make you guilty if you forget to turn the boom off on your turns. Its a good tool in certain apps.