Sprayable Urea?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, Feb 25, 2007.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Do any of you use Sprayable Urea 46-0-0? If so, at what rate do use and what kind of results do you get? I have always used granular, but I was looking at the sprayable urea. I use a 200 gal tank and average about 100,000 sq ft per tankor 2 gal per 1000.

Any info would be helpful.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have used 46-0-0 in the past. if you mix 4 bags and spray 100k you will get .92 lbs of N per k
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yepper...8 bags per tank is close enough for kosher.
  4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

2.17 lbs. of urea is 1 lb. of N/M. 2.17 * 43.56=94.52 lbs./A. This echos what the others said, just in different terminology. I figure 2 bags to the acre is a lb., 1 bag is a 1/2 lb., 1/2 bag is a quarter lb. etc... Makes the math a lot easier and it's easy to remember.
    FWIW, a lb. of straight urea is usually a little hot and won't do you a lot of favors. Everyone has their own opinion on rates, and I know you guys do it different in the south, but I'd run .75 lbs. Or, what I like is a 1/2 lb. of urea and a 1/2 lb. of UFlexx, for some slow release without breaking the bank.
  5. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

46-0-0 sounds like bear urine. I havent used an N higher than 36 w/ my pre emergents. Hows the results look at 2 gal/k?
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I spray a lot of urea. Admitedly, I learned at True Green. We burned a lot of lawns. And we were spraying at about 4 gallons per thousand SQFT. At two gallons per minute you would be twice as concentrated. Fine, below 60 degrees--but when its hot--a sure scorch.
    Unless you are using some kind of slow release nitrogen--you need 3 gallons water per 1000 sqft. I helped write the fill chart at TG. Apply in 3 (at least) gallons of water: no more than .9 lbs nitrogen below 70 degrees, no more than .75 lbs up to 80, no more than .5 lbs per 1000 sqft above 80 degrees.

Chemlawn gun only-white or green nozzle. Keep your spraying pressure low--no more than 100 lbs at the reel. Do not concentrate the spray or double cover any areas.

And if you add urea to tank you will need some degree of agitation to get it into solution. Keep a canoe paddle handy. If you suck urea into your filter before it dissolves, your pump will not work and there will be no agitation. And Urea usually contains some insoluble contaminants--which will tend to plug up your filter, later in the day.
  7. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the information. We are spraying 1000 sq ft per 35 seconds. Your info is very informative.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i mix mine in a slury before adding to the tank in a 5 gal bucket, once the urea is disolved, it stays disolved, moderate agitation is needed to keep it suspended. i've let mine set a week and hade very little if any settling out on the bottom of the tank. also check out gregson clark, their a sponser and have a strainer that sets in the top of the tank and you fill it with your product and it disolves in it, so as not to clog anything during the disolving prosses. as far as spraying goes i run 2gal/k 1# N and have had good luck (in the fall, NOT the summer) and .25 -.5 N in the spring apps. i've always used NBN as a slow release liquid, this year i'm going the try UFLEXX, stuff is alot cheaper, hope the results are good.
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Mixing it in hot water helps, too. I mix it in 5 gal. buckets with water as hot as I can get it. You can mix it straight into sparge agitation, but do it VERY slowly with the agitation running or else the prills will get drawn into the suction line and plug up the filter on back into the tank. From personal experience, don't do this. It's a PIA to get cleaned out. But like Teeca says, once it's dissolved, it's good to go. I think Gregson Clark makes some type of sock that fits into the tank fill that filters it until it's into suspension. Might be worth looking into.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Heres a tip. If you have a basket strainer on your sprayer (which you all should have), just fill your strainer with the urea. A slow steam of water will dissolve it in no time while filling your tank. No pre-mixing in buckets. No hot water. Simple. Fast. Easy.