Sprayer and Spreader Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by boxsky, Aug 23, 2006.

1. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

What is a good spreader and sprayer for fert, pest, herb apps? Most my lawns are under 20k sq ft.
    Like to keep cost down to under 300 a piece. of course the cheaper the better.
  2. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Lesco is running a Customer Appriciation sale right now. The stainless steel spreaders are $299 versus $350.

As far as a sprayer, they've got a space saver that run around $3400ish...

P.S. Cheaper is not always better!!! :rolleyes:
  3. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

3400 for a sprayer is a lot out of my budget. I won't use it enough to make it worth while. I more looking for a up to 6 gallon backpack sprayer. I saw a solo for 80 but that sounds cheap to me and wonder about quality of it.
    The Lesco spreader how are they in terms of evenness, blocking up? Lesco has good products but are there better out there in that price range.
  4. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I know that you said $3400 is out of your budget, but if anyone is interested I have the 200 Gal Spacesaver that I bought in May of 2005 with approx 10 hrs on it, (if that) for sale for $2,800. including a JD Tree and Shrub gun. I got out of thew business so thats why I am selling it. A great unit for doing tick applications on large properties
  5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

6. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Lesco's backpack sprayers are pretty good, no real problems other than a broken handle pump. I have 12 of them, should say something.
  7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco 80 lb. hopper spreaders are considered to be one of the best on the market. If it's for yourself, I recommend getting the remote 3rd hole closer and deflector shield unit installed. You'll love it! If it's for your crew, just have the manual shield installed. Usually, the crew won't respect the equipment the way the owner does.

If you're looking to "blanket spray" a lawn, a backpack won't do. It won't have the necessary even pressure, nor the liquid capacity to do so. However, they are excellent for spot treatments. The Solo 4 gallon backpacks are very popular. If you're using them for wettable powders, stay away from the piston design and purchase a diaphragm design instead. Solo makes both in the 4-gallon style and they are almost identicle. Lesco carries both versions.