Sprayer for home use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cinquefoil, Jul 5, 2009.

1. cinquefoil

cinquefoil LawnSite Member
    from MA

Are there any good 2 gallon tank sprayers that are suitable for homeowner use? I have tried a couple over the last few years and they really haven't been too good. They work ok at first, then the spray pattern gets erratic and it seems like I have to fiddle with the nozzle frequently to get it spray properly. I also notice slight air leakage from the top of my current sprayer, which is supposedly an RL Flowmaster commercial quality unit that I bought at Home Depot. It is definitely better than the WalMart variety, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I am using it for brush and lawn weed control. Any info or suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I liked the stainless steel Hudson sprayers. Unfortunately, they became cheap. As in a plastic pump barrel vs brass and a plastic pump handle instead of a steel D handle. Although they are still better than HD or Chinamart stuff.

3. cinquefoil

cinquefoil LawnSite Member
    from MA

It looks like they have several choices. Which model or line do you suggest? Thanks.

4. greendoctor

I would say the 67220 2 gallon stainless steel sprayer. That is the most commonly available and reasonably priced. I know that Ace Hardware carries these. I also recommend replacing the standard cone nozzle with the fan nozzle that is available as a spare part.

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i think back pack sprayers are much better but not all people can handle it.
    i have used some gilmour from jdl and have found them to be good units the sercret is to keep them clean in between uses and the down fall to most sprayers is that people will usaually store them in a hot shed for extended periods of time in between uses and this has adverse effects on the ruber parts

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have used the one gallon "Spray Doc" sprayers for years, (they are identical to the the green ones Lesco sells (JDL). Store in shed. Reliable and they have a filter built into the handle--the filter is essential--and it must be cleaned after use. Wide mouth container--you can reach inside and clean it easily. I would prefer a clear translucent container, as it is easier to measure the gallons added if the liquid level is visible. Brass adjustable cone nozzle. It has a pressure valve that vents excess pressure and allows you to release the pressure easily. Lube, rinse and clean the moving parts every year.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Foil,
    I have journeyed these store's in hopes to find such a good sprayer that will last the abuse of everyday use. All of the Chinese made sprayers are just as all has described, plastic--cheap and barely hold up to the pressure.
    The thing to consider is the types of pesticides used within the sprayers. Not all sprayers are equipped with Viton or Nitril-Butyl rubber gaskets and o-rings. Pesticides are either degenerative and corrosive to the inner workings of the cheap and common sprayers. You must clean them out after each use to keep them workable for a while.
    I have the priviledge of Farm centers where they sell chemical resistant seal and o-rings, which I have to change out for each new sprayer we buy. The equipped nozzles are junk as they can't handle the heat of our area. We have to change them out too!!
    In line filters are essential in the handle assembly and inside the nozzle tip to keep sediment out from the tip.
    There are companies that sell all brass wands and fittings, it may be in your own area but just not advertised to the general public. The professional line is kept to the professionals. At least around here it is because of the expense of getting a quality sprayer that will hold up.
    Gilmore and Hudson, makes a great general use sprayer, but be weary of the hose fittings and nozzle attachments just as explained above. Make sure the supplier carries the replacement parts for order or on their shelves. Every couple of years, the model numbers will change and the availibility becomes obsolete.

8. greendoctor

Before I got into the business for myself, this is what I used at home.

pro-08-91703-industro-ss.jpg

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Greendoctor and Riggle,
    That is the same sprayer units that I started out with years ago. The problem is, I don't see that unit much anymore. The local stores don't sell that unit as it does last quite some time and the truth of selling a cheaper model is more profitable.
    I can go out of state to a Structural Pesticide Company and purchase their 5 and 6 hundred dollar gallon sprayers, but that doesn't seem logical for us. Still the cost of replacing wands and seals each year, is still no contest with the professional models.
    If I were doing home structural pest control, then it would be profitable and longer lasting to me!