Sprayer nozzles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

For those who use skid sprayers, what gpm nozzles do you use? I see that Lesco carries 1.5, 2, 3, and 4 gpm choices. I bought a 1.5....will this be adequate for most liquid applications?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I always applied at 2 GPM (just because you have a 2 gpm nozzle on does not mean it's coming out 2 gpm! Check your pressure and verify). I started this year at 1 gpm out of a 4 gallon back pack (with a 25 gallon nurse tank soon to come). I got tired of the refills, and doing the blanket apps. Be careful at the lower rates because you will be alot more concentrated. Also keep in mind that some pesticides go down better at a higher carrier rates.

3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Different application call for different rates.

Insecticide soil drenches cal for alot more than broadleaf. I would say if you are new to spraying and are doing a typical broadleaf nutrient mix -- 2 or 3 gpm is a good start. Marko gave good advice on calibrating though - you can easily get 4 - 5 gpm out of a 2 gpm nozzle with enough pressure.

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lonnie,

You like this answer:

Buy the yellow nozzle for killng weeds.

Need white for fungicides and insecticides, depending on chemical.

LOL

EG

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Correction... .5 gal/min (2 minutes to blanket 1000 sf) which is rare to do a blanket app except on a new customer that was previously a dandelion farmer

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I suppose that I will be fine as long as I am within the perimeters of the label directions...

7. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Label? What label?

I just peel those off right away, it saves them blowing out of the truck as i go down the highway!

GT