sprayer pump

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by progressive lawn care, Oct 14, 2007.

1. progressive lawn care

progressive lawn care LawnSite Member

i am wanting to build my own sprayer. I have the tanks, racks, hoses, and reel. what type of pump and motor do I need?

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a permanent truck mount, skid sprayer that slides into a pickup or a mobile spraying unit(that runs on the turf)? Are you just spraying turf?

Scott

3. progressive lawn care

skid sprayer on trailer

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

The Hypro D30 powered by a honda 5hp engine is a very popular and reliable setup.

Scott

5. progressive lawn care

that is kinda what i've been looking at. now i know i am on the right track.
    but it is pretty expensive.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

but it will last forever... however long that might be... hypro d30 or d50, replace the diaphrams every year, and the valves everyother, and change the oil, it will last longer then the energizer bunny. i run both the d30 and d50, 30-40hrs week from march thru october and never have they let down. the 8hp hondas are smoking for the first 5min starting, but their 97' model year. a TON of hrs., but the pumps keep going and going.

7. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I posted earlier this week where I got a really good deal on a used d30 pump -- he has a couple more for sale too. Look at my old posts and you'll find his number.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Get a pump/moter that fits your needs, (allowing for reduced performance due to wear, and potential need for stronger pump in future). Will you use it every day or 10 times per year? Pump specifications are sometimes optimistic. You can usually get high pressure or high flow rates--but not both at the same time.

Hypro's smallest pump puts out 3.5 gal per min.

I am using a Hypro 252 (6 gal/min) on a Briggs 6.5 hp motor. I adjust to 120 lbs pressure at the reel. With 300 feet of half-inch hose, I get some pressure drop due to friction--I put out about 3 gal per minute at the gun. The Briggs motor has lower quality, but it only cost about $230.

Are you planning to spray weed killer only? If low volume--maybe an electric pump is strong enough.

If you want to mix fertilizer and water, or wettable powders--you need more volume--then the 252 or D30 are your best bet. You need several gallons per minute for agitation.

Don't forget a good fine mesh (325) filter in front of the pump to protect it from grit and contamination. Otherwise your valves and pressure regulator stick open due to grit in the water.

In my case, I had poor results from the stock Hypro pressure regulator--too much plastic. I replaced it with a top-quality brass one with stainless steel valve seats. Far superior.

Remember you need to send the excess solution from the pressure regulator back to the tank to act as jet agitation. And you need a pressure relief valve to send the entire flow back to the tank when don't need pressure--just agitation. Plan to put a few agitation nozzles inside tank to increase your agitation and mixing.

9. progressive lawn care

thanks every body i am going to go with the d30