1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprayer question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, Feb 13, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

What do you all do with your sprayers when you have liquid in them and the temps get down to around freezing? The problem I have is the temps here in Tulsa have been getting really cold at night around the 20-30's and I need to calibrate my spray tank but don't want anything to freeze up.
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

if it just dips down below freezing for a few hours at night you shouldn't have to worry. By the time it starts freezing good it starts to warm back up. I leave mine on the truck at night temps of 25 and never have had a problem. Now if it is for an extended period of time that is different.
    If you have a building to put it in is even better.

I have in the past wrapped a tarp or blanket around the pump etc and put a heat lamp shining towrds it. Make sure that it does not get to close or you may melt or catch fire.
  3. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

Be careful when you leave in the morning if the temperatures are not above freezing. Going down the road with the pump exposed to the cold air can freeze them fast. Most fertilizer solutions have a lower freezing point than water so you might be ok in some situations. Also if you suspect that you might have some freezing in your system be sure to let it warm up and thaw out before you start the pump. Diaphragm pumps don't handle ice very well. Good luck.
  4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Winterize it! I have a 200 gal and I put 3 gal of rv anti freeze in then run it threw the pump.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I wouldn't take any chances and winterize like nitro said. I use granular now but spring temps always scared me. I' had the mix freeze in the hose during round 1 even in my polebarn, just dont try and run the pump if you have any freezing. put a tarp over the pump and hose and run a kerosene heater is what I did.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always had a warehouse but a simple heat solution would be to wrap it with a blanket, one of those athletic reflective ones would work best and put a 40 watt light bulb under the blanket as well...

oh....the light bulb should be plugged in ;)
  7. JimKelley

JimKelley LawnSite Member

Wrap the pump and hose reel with an electric heating pad and turn it on one of the low settings. I used to move the truck under the shed and put the spray rig in the garage. Do not spray when the temps are below freezing, the chemical itself says not to allow it to freeze. When some of the chemicals freeze they may seperate from the carrier and then will not remix very well.