Sprayer Skirt

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Oct 12, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm using a 8' boom sprayer on some properties and am using a homemade canvas skirt with weights sewn on the bottom. I've made this with aluminum in a semi-circle that protects plantings. The only problem is slowing down and putting down more product than required. Any suggestions or better application practices out there. I have sprayed the perimeter with the backback and that works OK, but some of these lawns have long perimeters with plantings. Boom sprayer does a great even job on huge open spaces much better than backback.
    Ideas?????

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

what machine is this? can you adjust the flow rate?

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

small 15 gal. tank on Fimco 80" boom mounted on back of lawn tractor. It can be adjusted on the flow but it has a perfect 39lb pressure that is constant. Output is 1gal/K. AI could be moved up or down for more or less water/K. But it is great as is.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sprayer skirts were big for 2 or 3 years (for lawn care as well as row crops), but I never see them nowadays. Not sure why, but nobody here uses them anymore. I heard they had serious drawbacks, but can't remember why.

5. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Is skirt clear so you can see through while spraying?

May think about adding one or two on/off in-line valves to shut off the nozzles except the one(s) you need.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why does it apply excess--are you slowing down? Does excess spray accumulate on the skirt and drip down on the grass?

You might try to regulate the pressure downward, in addition to above suggestions. 20 pounds pressure will have less drift--less need for skirt. Slant nozzles back for less wind effect from movement of tractor. Different nozzles will have less drift potential, also. (See sprayingsystems.com). Consider a liquid drift control agent for windy days.

Let us know how it works out. Hope this helps.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Riggs: The skirt that I have is really simple and only on one side. The spray does not drip down the side but I use it just to have insurance against drift and homeowner realizing that I am not spraying on those flowers. I could turn off one jet and ride the edge leaving about a foot untreated.
    I've never seen any one else using. My speed is 2MPH, fairly fast around fences, planting, bushes, etc. I'm using the blue stuff to mark but it begins to fade if I take too long. I generally just get the perimeter then do stripes about ever 6' as the sprayer covers 80" which gives about a 4" overlap more or less. Can't complain. These are just 4 lawn that I take care of for the older folks around me. There're older and like to tell me how to do things. One guy even puts down white sterofoam cups about 6' apart to help me, (I don't think he trusts my driving even with the blue marker) Anyway, I don't mind as I only charge for the chems like Atrazine 4L that costs $25/2.5gal and I only use about 1 oz/K. The yards are fairly weedless and they appreciate just paying about $8.00 on a fixed income. Of course my lawn shows them how spraying for weeds and using pre-ems looks. Now if I could just keep them from mowing at 2"....too much time I guess.
    Thanks again
    Roy

8. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder what those drawbacks could be? I use a hooded sprayer on lawns and can't imagine using anything else. I use an open boom when killing off areas to be newly seeded but those areas never have desirable plantings where drift could be a problem. The hood just seems so easy to use. I can run along the edge of planted areas without worry of overspray and wind is never a concern. I suppose the large size of the hoods could be considered a drawback but that hasn't been a problem for me.

Scott

9. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

What brand hooded sprayer and what kind of unit to you have it mounted to.

We've looked at some hoods in the past......but continue to walk....and walk makes for a long day;) !.

Thanks.

10. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Pro Lawn Spray Shield. I had it mounted to a ztr but there was too much weight out front and I couldn't control the machine on slopes. I decided I needed a dedicated spray rig so last winter I created this monster. It is a Toro 5100D fairway mower. I removed the cutter heads and used the hydraulics to lift the hoods and power the D30 pump for the hose reel. I made a foam marker so I could better see where I've been. Its still a work in progress but allows me to actually get through all the accounts because it is so much faster than walking.
    We have had the spray shield about five years. I don't remember what it cost.

Scott

spray rig.jpg