Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walkerowner06, Jul 29, 2006.

1. walkerowner06

walkerowner06 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a new manual backpack sprayer but i am not what brand to buy. right now i have a 3 gallon echo sprayer that is about 5 years old and is starting to break. I want to buy a new one with a tank capacity of 5 gallons or more. who makes the best manual sprayer and also makes the largest capacity backpack sprayer. i would greatly appreciate any help.
  2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Northern Tool has good selection. You sure you want a 5 gal (or more) backpack? That's 40 lbs (or more). I use the 4 gal and SP0 and SP2 from Swissmex. That's heavy enough!
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I like Shindawa because the handle can be turned up vertically when you are finished and that makes it easier to store in truck or trailer. Don't think most sprayers come much bigger than 4 gallon.
  4. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa has a good one, made in Brazil, and Solo has both a diaphragm and a piston pump 5 gal. sprayer. Solo sprayers have been around for over 30 years. Good rep and generally parts available at aftermarket shops.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Jacto makes a 5 gallon that's a comfotable fit.
    I used to have the 4 gal Echo but the weight wasn't distributed right. Also, Shindy and Jacto are the same thing.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have had good luck with Solo BP Sprayers. I wouldn't want to carry around 5 gal because of the weight.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I purchased an sp (landscapers choice) i hate it, should have stayed with shindawa.
  8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 Shindawia backpacks and 2 Lesco (Solo). The Lesco require less pumping than the Shindawia. We are going to all Lesco because of the less pumping.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Swissmex is an excellent sprayer. I just bought another RL Flowmaster from Lowes. That is a Swissmex.
  10. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

ShuFlo makes an excellent battery powered backpack sprayer. One charge usually lasts several days and it saves the wear and tear of constantly pumping the sprayer. Cost is about $180 and is available thru Northern Tool and many others.