1. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

The question i need to know is i have a 150 gallon sprayer with 220 ft of hose mounted on a trailer this sprayer works fine on most urban small lawns where you don't walk a lot. But in big areas its difficult to do especially when someone wants 2 to 3 acres sprayed. So i thought making a pull behind sprayer to pull behind my lawn mower with a 25 gallon tank a 12 volt pump and with a 10 ft boom. The pump will put out 2 gallons per minute at 60 psi would this set up make it more easy and also faster for me compared to the pulling that 200 ft of hose on 3 acres. Any help greatly appreciated thanks STEVE:)

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25 gallon tank mounted on the back of my lawn mower. It is a Murray that I had before I got my JD 757. Mounting the tank with a easy to make bracket is so much better than a pulliing a trailer type because of turning, backing up, and crossing uneven ground. It goes up hills fine also. The mower is a six speed, so the speed is extremely consistent. In 3rd I apply 30 gpa and in 4th it is 20gpa. I have 6 nozzles on 20" spacing and the boom folds up on the ends for transportation and gates. You can set up like this for $300, if you have a mower. It makes a very even application. I am thinking about mounting my tank on my ZRT next year and making an adjustable block to limit how far my handles can push forward so that I can get a dead steady speed with my ZRT.

3. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

Mu freind had one mounted at the back of his mower if he popped the clutch to fast it would tip straight back so he tried it a little slower and still tipped up but not as bad. there was a few times he lost control of the mower spraying with it like that did you have those problems if not what did you do to keep from doing that

4. hmartin

The larger the mower you mount the tank on, the less the weight will effect driving. Mount the tank low and as far forward as possible. 25 gallons doesn't adversly effect my mower. Use 15 or 20 gallons if you still have problems.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat as the one who started this thread. This sounds like a good setup, but you'd basically have to refill the tank after spraying 1 acre. If you were spraying a 3-acre property, I wonder if this would end up taking more time in the end than just walking it with the hoses. Of course, you could refill from the skid sprayer if there was no water available on site.

6. hmartin

TurfUnlimited, How long does to it take you to spray 3 acres with a hose. I have not use a skid sprayer myself. I can spray an acre in 20 minutes and I am using one of the smaller 12 volt pumps. Aquatec makes one that puts out about 5 gpm. I think it is similar to the pump on the Z-Spray. Refilling doesn't take more than a couple of minutes. You could really cover some ground with that for a small investment. Riding is so much easier than walking.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I had no idea it was that much faster. If you can cover an acre in 20 minutes then it is no contest at all.

Depending on layout, walking an acre with the hoses probably averages 45 minutes for me.

Sounds like your setup could be done in 1.5 hrs counting refill time versus 3 hrs with the skid.

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, just my 2 cents. How many of these multi acre propertys do you have? I mean, if you see alot of growth in your future and you like spraying and ferting, why not invest in something that will allow you to grow. I see the pull behind concept as a pain and easily out grown. Personally I would suggest caution with some of the ones sold to pull behind a mower. They look cheesy and unprofessional to me. but just my opinion though...

9. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

The Prolawn is the best choice for large areas. I absolutly love mine. I can cover an acre in 10 minutes or so. Plus it is hooded for added drift protection. Check it out at www.prolawnsprayshields.com I have the 11' frontmount model on an 718 commercial lawn tractor. Certainly worth looking at!!!! Good luck!

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what i did before i got my ride on is have a temp. worker drive the truck and do about 30' swaths while i had about 100' of hose out walking behind it. it's a pain, but worked. (these were large 900k - 1m k+ properties)