Spraying 3-Way herbicide in transition zone?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Apr 16, 2006.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For those in a transition zone, how do you go about spraying 3-way herbicide on cool season and warm season grasses?

The ratio for Lesco's 3-Way on warm season grasses is .5 to .9 oz per 1000 sq ft. The ratio for cool season grasses is 1.1 to 1.5 oz per 1000 sq ft. Some lawns will require a blanket spray.

Would you make two different trips out?
    Would it be ok and split the difference and mix 1 oz per 1000 sq ft?

Thanks
    Matt

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually spray everything at 0.75 oz/M this time of year anyway, both warm and cool season unless the infestation is high.

But I suppose you could do this....

Mix at 1.0 oz/M and spray cool season with a 2 GPM tip. Change your tip to 1.5 GPM when spraying warm season. That may not be absolutely perfect, but better than spraying both at the same rate.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

At that rate, is it fairly effective? I went ahead and mixed it at .9 oz per K. I guess I will know soon how effective it will be.

Thanks

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Granted, I'm using Trimec 992 and/or Vessel instead of the Lesco 3-way.

It works well at 0.75 oz with surfactant. Most of the weeds I'm spraying this time of year are already weakened somewhat from the warm temps. We also have problems with burweed, which grows in the thatch and has a limited root system.

5. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I'm in SW Missouri and mix my rate at 1.5. We have warm and cool season grasses. The main difference is most people here don't like the bermudas or zoysia so it doesn't matter if I harm it. We do have a couple of customers that have all zoysia lawns and I'm careful when spraying, I usually just spot treat. But I always am carefull in high temp. weather when spraying herbicides.