1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying Atrazine in high heat

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Spraytek, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Spraytek

Spraytek LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience spraying Atrazine 4L in temperatures above 90? I've always heard not to spray it when the temperature is over 90, but I've never had the need to spray it at that time of the year. The Drexel label doesn't say anything about temp restrictions. Anyway, I've got several yards that I picked up earlier this summer that have chamber bitter and doveweed starting to emerge., so Atrazine would be my cheapest option to control both weeds. Any experience and suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck.......whats the turf your trying to treat?
  3. Spraytek

Spraytek LawnSite Member

St. Augustine
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Have only used it with fall and spring apps.

Thought about celcius or msm?
  5. Spraytek

Spraytek LawnSite Member

Right, only spring and fall apps when it's used.
    I tried MSM, and surprisingly, it didn't get the chamber bitter. I knew it wouldn't do much to the doveweed. I've sprayed celsius in a couple of the yards, but the doveweed is still going strong.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Please error on the side of caution. Spray only below 85. Have you considered Simazine instead of Atrazine which has lots of lateral movement. Never spray it around any trees closer than 10'. I like it in December to very early Spring for winter weeds.
  7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

might try dismiss for the doveweed...atrazine in the heat can be deadly to st aug.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I think this statement could be applied anywhere in the US, when considering herbicide apps in high heat. Just don't do it.