Spraying attracks neighbors

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 18, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else seeing this now?

Today I treated a new sign-up lawn. Full of weeds (especially creeping Charlie). I had a helper with me. He applied granular fert w/pre while I sprayed the lawn with Chaser. During the 15 minutes we were there, we counted four neighbors beginning to mow their lawns, plus one guy using a spot sprayer on his lawn. That's five neighbors in one block "coming out of the woodwork" cuz they saw our truck. It was in an older neighborhood with plenty of retired folks.

I know this is human nature, but five in a block pretty much set a record for us today. It's comical, yet I'll probably do the same thing when I retire.:laugh:

p.s. One gal told us she was pleased cuz the creeping Charlie was going into her lawn.

p.s.s. Have you ever noticed while you are winding your hose in...the lady next door is opening the garage door and leaving? It's cuz she was watching you spray the neighbor's lawn the whole time .:laugh:
    rscvp, thanks

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same thing sometimes!! I'll start to cut and in a few mins. theirs mowers everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Setting: Rural neighborhood on a Saturday mid morning...Mr. Johnson opens his garage door and out he comes in his golf shirt riding his shiny John Deere tractor. Mr. Smith, across the street sees this, and out he comes on his tractor, and THE RACE IS ON!
    They all lose it on their totally wrong sprinkler running times, also. The whole neighborhood get turned around and is over watering by 2 inches a week, eventually.

4. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Do you listen to Rockwell? lol

5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I always work like someone's watching. I'm surprised sometimes by the seemingly normal customer who doesn't answer the door when you knock but you catch a glimpse of them running from room to room through the house, peeking out the window trying to follow you around the yard :).

I'm guilty of this at my house. I mow my yard on the weekends and since I'm an early riser I usually work on other stuff for a few hours until I hear other people firing up their mowers so I'm not the jerk waking up the neighborhood :)

6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

everytime im treating a lawn i always "attrack" the people on the street. mainly because i do all applications in a clown suit while singing the lyrics to the MASH theme.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You all should be so lucky that people react the way they do to your work. I try not to work in the suburbs when people are home. Otherwise, I get lots of dirty looks and slammed doors/windows from "Green" yuppies who happen to have a gas guzzling SUV in their garage. Hypocrites. A lot of my work is done on estates with high walls and gates, so no nosey neighbors to deal with.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Just for toots and giggles my wife and I decided to go 100% organic with our home lawn this year...(and most probably from here on out.)

Over the months of April and May especially, this change of "pace" by our lawn apparently has sent our adjacent neighbors into an absolute tizzy !

We could sense they sort of just rolled their eyes at us :rolleyes: about the time we were topdressing the 8 yards of compost over the heavily-aerated lawn, back in late March.
    And my occasional spreading of crimped corn and corn gluten all over tarnation recently got a few smiles and chuckles at the neighborhood nighttime s'mores & hot dog cookout under the stars.

But what really has made them shake their heads is the very obvious decrease in MOWING FREQUENCY we've realized so far this year!

The turf has maintained great color overall.
    And probably because of the composting boost primarily, it has maintained a density great enough to crowd out just about any chance of weed encroachment.

What we have lost since last year is the tremendous 'surge growth' that high N atmosphere-derived ferts tend to promote...and the camaraderie of the loosely-scheduled "mower 500" :laugh: every Sat afternoon...because at this specific point in time, we're mowing on a 10-12 day schedule instead, and saving quite a bit of physical energy + gasoline as a result.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

From personal experience, I have found spraying in the early evening around dinner time brings the most business from neighbors. After dinner when the heat of the day is gone they like to take walks. A big Smile and a Friendly hello opens the door. Low key salesmanship by answers questions followed by a Statement like "If that doesn't work for you, I have some stuff you might not be able to buy", does the trick. There is always the Do It Yourself guy who only wants to pick your brain and watches for you. But that is OK because he talks with other neighbor and ends up recommending they talk with you. Actually in summer heat it is better to spray after the heat of the day.

10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have an account that every time i mow it No matter when i mow it the lady across the street always walks her dog twice while I'm there. She's like clock work, I've even made lunch money by betting the new guys that she would come out twice. $$$$$$