Spraying before rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QLC, Mar 19, 2000.

1. QLC

QLC LawnSite Member

I just started spraying this year and I got a ?. I sprayed 8 yards yesterday with MEC-Amine D and last night it rained. Will I need to re-spray these yards or does the rain take the chemical to the weeds better? Don't know what I would do without this forum!!!!!<p><br>Brook Haynes<br>Quality Lawn Care

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how hard it rained and when you sprayed. We like to see at least 4 hours after a weed app before rain.<p>(No, rain doesn't help weed control.)<p>From my experience with the use of new hericides and some spreader/sticker, unless the rain is really hard, once it's dried for a while you get pretty decent control.<p>Visit those sites in 7-10 days a look how much weed curl you have.

3. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Shouldn't you have learned the answer to that question when you got your pesticide license???

4. Lazer

I don't know how it works in your state, but I use approx. 4% of what I learned for the pesticide exam in the real world.

Lawnappmo likes this.
  5. qlc wrote:<p>&gt;I just started spraying this year and I got a ?. I sprayed 8 yards yesterday with MEC-Amine D and last night it rained. Will I need to re-spray these yards or does the rain take the chemical to the weeds better? <p>Rainfast info is on the label. You did read<br>the label before you applied right?

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have seen chemlawn spraying in the rain

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Temperature during application is a major consideration: were the weeds actively growing when sprayed? If so, in my experience, rainfall can come an hour afterward, with no problem. With some products, even less time is required.<p>Rule of thumb in 80s: When using Trimec (amine formulation), most of chemical was absorbed in 30 min. For Super Trimec (ester) it was only 15 min. Labels stated much longer times. Once made May application of Trimec, downpour hit as soon as I stepped into truck; no weeds survived, even where spray had sat for only 2 min.<p>Never saw studies done, but I suspect that amount of rainfall/irrigation after herbicide appl can affect results. Excessive water can dilute chemical in plant??<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

8. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Charles:<p>Sometimes I think Chemlawn is more concerned with production than results. Especially if they don't have full service on the contract.

9. Lazer

Chemlawn's last concern is quality results. (But they may have been spraying fertilizer)<br>Rainfall will dimish results, but only because it may wash chemical off the weed prior to absorption. Excess rain will only cause the weed to grow faster and therefore die quicker.<br>Chemicals need to be on plants less time than label recommendations. I'm not saying to apply contrary to the label, but chances are if the hericide has dried, it's going to work.

10. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

Read the label