1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying broadleaf after first frost?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, Oct 26, 2005.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you pros do this? Are the results that much better? THANX
  2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I do at some properties. If you look back a few days there wer a couple of threads on this.:)
  3. BigCity

BigCity LawnSite Member

I do some. Are the results better than before the frost? Not especially, but if the conditions were poor for control earlier in the fall then it might be better than then. There are some factors that deter me from doing a lot of it 1) ester or psuedo esters have the best control and cost a lot 2) leaves on lawns make it a challenge 3) always windy in later fall.
    That being said late fall control is better than early spring control.
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I will spray after the second, third, and fourth frosts also.
  5. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up ester 3-way from Lesco and and if you break down the sqare footage of coverage the Ester is cheaper then the reg. 3-way. The mixing ratio is lower for the Ester.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I just put down some broadleaf control about 2 weeks ago. We had received about 4 to 5 frosts before that. What I have really noticed is that the frost mostly takes out the crabgrass, goosegrass, and quackgrass. Nothing really else. Now that is my opinion and what I have witnessed.

Heck just today when I was mowing a lawn I saw a dandelion
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It is cheaper but it also makes me want to throw up as the smell is horrendous.
  8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a lite weight!!!
  9. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

A hard frost will kill off annual grasses and summer annual broadleaf weeds.
    Perennial weeds will only slow down thier metabolism. So if you spray during or
    shortly after the frost the weeds maybe slower to die, as the will translocate the herbicide much more slowly. But they will speed back up to normal as soon as the soils warm back up. So go ahead and spray the dandelions, clover, ground ivy, etc. after the frost but I wouldn't bother with spurge, knotweed, purslane or other summer annuals. Just a waste of herbicide.