1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying broadleaf weeds after the first freeze

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Harvestman, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Opinions Please! And if you do spray what do you use?
  2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

cool power from riverdale
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Most effective time of the season to spray. Trimec Classic
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Dandelions, thistles, ground ivy all seem to take up herbicide better after a frost. I use Lesco Three-Way. I have also used Triplett. I think the frost gets rid of any waxy cuticle on the leaves. Thus herbicides penetrate better. I will spray until about Nov 10th. As long as daytime temps are above 35 and the ground is the frozen I will spray.
  5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Green Guardian 14-0-5

I love to get this between the first heavy frost and total ground freeze.
  6. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I was always under the impression that the temp needed to be in the upper 60's (at least) to get a good kill. Am I wrong?
  7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

We spray every year after the first and more frosts. I have alot of guys tell me its a bad idea or look at me funny. But in the spring when they have weeds and my lawns are clean they become belivers.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The first frost really has no bearing on the perennial weeds 9which the majority of them are). The herbicide will still work, as the plant is still uptaking.
  9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Did our last spray for the season yesterday and we have had two soft frosts already this year. The best time to spray for broadleafs IMO. We do try to get everything sprayed before it gets cover in leafs. Three-way.
  10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

broadleaf weeds will continue to grow after the first frost as gunner stated. i use cool power an ester based formula and it kicks a$$, i have also used triplet and it too works great when the weather gets cooler (and not worked good in the summer), the fact being that the plants are opening up and taking in as much as possible to store food for the winter.