Spraying Chelated iron?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, Jun 25, 2006.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

My local Lesco dealer told me I could not spray chelated iron through a Z-Spray unit. He said it would clog it up. What do you guys think?Do you have any suggestions on spraying iron? Thanx

2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Not if you use a fully chelated micro-nutrient pure solution. Lesco might be thinking of dry sprayable ferrous sulphate mixed with water. The raw material can have a lot of impurities in it and may clog nozzles. If you have trouble finding a fully chelated micro-nutrient product that won't clog nozzles, I can help you. P.M. me if need be.
    Neal

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i had some roots that i sprayed thursday on my home lawn with no problem out of the z unit.

Neal Wolbert

share with us all were to find a fully chelated micro-nutrient product .

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i think that the question would be if you can apply the 2-8oz per K out of the z-spray. i use ferromec and that is the reccomend amount for bluegrass.

5. bntt68

I have heard good things about Root products. Do they have micros too? thanx

6. bntt68

The Lesco dealer pointed to the 2.5 gallon chelated liquid on his shelf and said I could not use it, unless I wanted to clog up all the lines and tips.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco sells permagreen, and as small as the lines, pump capasity, and nozzel size, it would most likly clog them. at 32oz per K, it would look like maple syurp comming out of the nozzles.

8. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

If you care about persistant chemicals and the environment, consider buying one that is chelated with an organic acid and not EDTA. You'll probably have to pay a little more but you will be using a product that is more eco-responsible in my opinion. Research has found EDTA in the soil decades after application. A Google search should reveal that as well.
    Neal

9. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

You can get tips to put out 1 gallon per k if you like, divided by 5 tips that is.

10. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

So has anyone successfully run liquid iron through the Z-spray?
    I tried mixing iron at 9oz/m and 1.5oz/m mecamine-d last year and the stuff turned to play dough in the bottom of the tank and the lines.
    It made quite a mess.

I am thinking of trying straight iron at 5oz/m and see what happens.
    I'll do a compatability test in a bucket first.