spraying crown vetch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by steve in Pa., May 3, 2005.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if you can spray a broadleaf control over crown vetch that was seeded about 2 weeks ago? Yes I am liscensed. there is annual rye planted with the vetch. No sign of any growth yet. I just don't want to ruin the seed. The customer is not happy with the broadleave weeds on a bank.

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

HUH?

What was the question?

What was seeded on purpose?

What is there now?

What do you want to kill?

EG

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Steve, did you use a pre -spray kill on the hillside, and the weeds are coming in faster than the rye/vetch? I think I would wait a week or more and see what is coming in before using an over the top spray. I think the weather has a lot to do with everything now. How large of an area is this that needs sprayed?

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

IF the crownvetch is not emerged, then Roundup would be safe.

5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

The crown vetch is not emerged nor is the annual rye but the customer sees all the weeds that have emerged since we seeded. Did not pre spray the bank, there were not many weeds on it, plus did not want to spray the weeds that were out for fear of more erosion. We told him to hang in there that it will come in and choke off the weeds. But he insists the bank looks like hell due to the weeds.

6. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Steve...we have several customers with "crown vetch" on hill sides and along places like highways etc. We have used in the past a 1% solution of 2-4-D on the vetch and apply 2 or 3 times over a months time.

7. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

Doesn't the vetch take up to a year to germinate?

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Crown vetch does not take a year to germinate but it is slow. If an innoculant is used on the seed and it is planted eairly enough a good stand of vetch can be had in the first season. Often vetch is planted late and because of the high ground temperature and lack of available moisture it doesnt germinate until the next year. I doubt the ground temp in Pa has gotten to high for the seed to germinate, using 2-4D or similar might kill off the vetch as it does germinate because of the residual effect ( pre-emergent) of the herbicide. Right now vetch is about a foot high in Western NC and the 2-4D would probably kill it if it was sprayed now. If there is even a little growth of vetch the roundup would be sure to kill it as well as the rye. I wouldnt use any herbicide and if he is worried about the weeds he can try a weed eater trimmer. The vetch will probably choke out all the weeds next year. The weeds are out growing the rye and vetch now because of the fretilizer used when you seeded.