Spraying fertilizer.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Sli1der, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Sli1der

Sli1der LawnSite Member

I am new to this site though have been in the business part-time for 7 years. Usually will apply granular and then go back and backpack or tank spray my herbicide. Have serveral in the area that just spray the fert. by adding granular to the tank and mixing. Can some one tell me the trick to this. I would like to add it to my system for one app this year and see if it is a viable option every two or three app's. Can buy liquid at Lesco, but it is very expensive and they tend to not push it. A slow release urea base fertilizer probably will not desolve in the tank. Means I would have to use a fast release with little residual affect. Any comments would be greatly appreciated and I will try to return any help I can.
  2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Growth Products makes very good liquid slow release fertilizer, they can make any mix that you want, or you can just go with one of their premade mixes. I know that U.H.S sell their products, but I don't think that Lesco does.
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Our (LESCO's) liquids are sometimes made for us by Tessenderlo-Kerley or by us. The GreenFlo line is an example & is the best there is & not cheap. Sold in 5 gallon cases, 30 gallon drums, & 275 bulk tanks.

The material we manufacture & ship in bulk is very cost effective but is limited to parts of the country that are tanker accessible within 3.5 hours of the Hatfield Mass, plant. (Thanks to the DOT) In most cases you would want to own a 990+ gallon storage tank or the cost increases. The only option to bulk tankers is our 330 gallon mini-bulks. Some folks buy these one at a time & keep them until they own three. Then they can call for a tanker refill.
  4. tremor

Woops. Wrong button.

Anyway, I would imagine someone has a liquid fertilizer plant within bulk delivery range of your area in NE. If there's a TrueGreen/ChemLawn branch near you then I'll just about gaurantee it.

You could also take the time to add sprayable prilled bagged material to your tank. It's a time consuming mess of a job in my opinion, but plenty of folks still do it.

We sell a 33-0-17 sprayable in 50 lb bags. 28-7-14, 16-32-16, 20-20-20, & my favorite 23-0-23 in 25 lb pails.

And we all sell sprayable 46-0-0 prilled Urea to which you can also blend some 0-0-60 sprayable Muriate of Potash or 0-0-50 Sprayable Sulfate of Potash, or even some sprayable DAP for phosphorus. For slow release N, some guys even blend in 38-0-0 sprayable UF, but this requires some fairly stout mechanical agitation. This business of blending your own sprayables is not the most popular method of doing things liquid for obvious reasons.

Here's a couple links you might find usefull:

Hope this helps

5. pushu2

pushu2 LawnSite Member

If you are looking for an easy way to get weed control on the lawn w/o using a hand can or back pack. Perma-Green now has 2 spray units that attach to the spreader, run by battery and on a constant or as need switch ($200-$300). WOrks great. If you want to spray the lawn with fert & weed control... Thats a whole system in it's self. Somewhat costly ($2500-$4000) and something that you would want to use more than once a year because of the cost
  6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Tremor, I don't understand why you say adding prilled material is time consuming and messy. I can load a 1200 gallon tank in 10 minutes. In my opinion that is not time consuming, and at least at our shop it is not messy at all. You apparently have not yet seen a good fill station.
  7. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Three problems with liquids that caused me to return to a mostly granular program -- for now:

1) Burn
    2) Quick burst, Short residual
    3) non adaptability to low volume applicators

And a general word of caution before trying a "do-it-yourself" liquid blend ---- make a test run on a turf that will not ruin your business if you burn the heck out of it.

I am sure 32%UAN and 28% N are very common liquid ferts in Nebraska farm country. You can probably purchase for $170/T by the tanker load. However, they are blended for ag-use and can fry a lawn even when diluted.

Do you know what technology ya'll are using for your bulk liquids to achieve slow-release and no burn?
  8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

rkk95, I'm with you on the fill system. I use a eductor system that I designed with no problems concerning fill time or agitation (sparge or mechanical.) I also use Umaxx as a N source with excellent results as it desolves readily and feeds the turf for 10-12 wks depending on rates.
  9. tremor

Rkk. I've seen & used great systems that employ eductor bowls & overhead fill. So I agree with you that it can be very easy to do well. But the vast majority of the folks who come here seaking information don't have this type of system & most never will.

Greenpastures, Burn potential is relative to salt index. We use N-Sure Triazone urea slow release Nitrogen in all cases. And since potash is just as salty, we offer Potassium Thiosulfate for summer use. There is no lower salt liquid source of K in use in our industry.

When it comes to commercial lawncare, liquid or granular isn't the issue with respect to burn potential or residual. The issue is economic. To match the residual of a well engineered granular slow release, the liquids are more costly to purchase pound for pound. But the labor savings of tank mixing more than pays back the material expense.

It is this persons opinion that some formulators who don't have access to modern or adequate facilities or raw material contracts may perpetuate the misinformation for marketing purposes.

Likewise it is common for some LCO's to skimp on the liquid low salt or slow release ingredients to reduce cost. So this reputation isn't one that will go down easily. LOL

10. Dandylyin Slayer

Dandylyin Slayer LawnSite Member

Could you tell me more about the umaxx? Who makes it and what percent N is it?