1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spraying for the state

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gmgbo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

IN ct I see private contractors driving along the highway and spraying under the guardrails. Does anyone here do that and about how much do you charge?
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It's probably a state bid. You may also need a different classification for doing this type of work.
  3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else?
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Why? Grandview pretty much summed it up.
  5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i know where i live in south florida anything you do for the state or county or city has to bid out.you might need to get on a list and they will mail you when something is out for bid...
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

10 years ago I looked into County work mowing the side of the road. 40 Miles was bid at 106 K per year and I got all excited. Quick math found out it worked our to $ 11.00 an acre and you were required to pick up all the trash on the road side before mowing it.

3 different guys went bankrupt doing that contract. The guy doing it now has had the contract for 5 or 6 years now. I have not checked to see what he gets per year now. But the bottom line is a lot of cheap work and no real money in my state because of low ballers who don't understand business.

Both My State and county has websites that list contracts of all kinds. Not only do they list them, but winning bids are public information on those websites. If it is a reoccurring contract, Last years winning bid is also listed with the new Bid specs. To undercut last years bid by a dollar is not a wise move since the other guy may have gone broke at that price.