spraying gravel driveways and parking lots with soil sterilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TURF SIDE UP, Jul 26, 2005.

1. TURF SIDE UP

TURF SIDE UP LawnSite Member

i have decided to expand my chemical services into spraying gravel driveways, etc.. with round up/sahara .
    i am looking for a ball park pricing structure for this type of service, i want to charge by the 100 sq ft, does anyone else offer this service or know the going rates.
    i am gonna buy a spray rig solely for this purpose, also should i offer a full year or six month weed free gaurantee?

i would think the pricing would be higher, then the prices i charge for lawn care of the same square footage.

any info would be a big help!!!
    shane

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

well first figure out what 100sq ft takes chemical wise then figure out how many times you won't have to spray the conviencie factor with sterilent you only got to spary 1 instead of every month. I would tend to be pricey on that services cause no one does it around here. But bill in a little extra for retrips and wash out.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Can't help you with the pricing but want to thank you for sharing a great Idea payup

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I do a little of this out of a 50 gallon dedicated round up sprayer. I charge for product plus labor. It is not as easy to price as lawns. I am still figuring out a good system.

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

how is what is the percent of the solution that you are using then what part of the cost is that from the bulk product. then add a stop charge then mark up the product 20% I think you should be around 6.00 per thousand sq. ft. plus a stop fee then sell an additional retrip service.

6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Why not bill by the linear foot. Say 10ft wide drive, charge a certain figure for how long it is. You would only have to use a measuring wheel and get the length to give a bid.

7. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

I Would Say No Less Than 75 A Driveway...........no Weed Free Guarantee Other Than A Total Initial Kill And 3 Billable Apps A Year. Price Has Got To Be High Per Thou Sq Ft Because Most Driveways Arent That Big. Plus The Higher Price Will Help Cover Any Coincidental Reseeding The Customer May Need ( Runs Drips Or Errors)

8. TURF SIDE UP

thanks for the input, i have thought about this service for along time, because driveways are all sizes and sometimes 100's/1000's of feet long(i live in the country), the best pricing would be by the 100 sq ft for my purposes, it only takes a couple minutes to figure the square foot of anything, so thats easy enough. i can just price out what the materials would cost per 100 sq ft, then figure what i need to make in labor, but what is the guarantee factor worth?
    also this app should only be done, when calling for clear weather the couple days afterward. so i would have to chose the days wisely to apply.

there is a guy in my area that offers this service, with a year guarantee. not sure if he is licensed or not, you must have a industrial weed control license to spray roundup/anything similar in maryland.

has anybody used sahara, what is the residual time? i thought i read it was 6-9 months depending on the rate?

shane

9. TURF SIDE UP

turf hokie, i tried to pm you would the site would not let me. shoot me a email at shanebrenda99@comcast.net, if you dont mine i have a couple questions.

shane

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

A little off topic but, do any of you know of a marker for roundup? I've been doing this for a while and gravel parking lots are difficult without a marker.
    BTW, what about charging by the gallon?